Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,501  
Here's my 2 cents, and for the record IMHO there are lots of good people here on this discussion.
I follow everything you're laying down here, with this exception:

For every 1,000 hp EV you could have ten 100 hp ones! (Let that sink in).
How do you figure this, Fuddy? If I drive a 1000 hp car, I am not laying down 10x more energy (= power x time) throughout the day, than if I drove a 100 hp car. Yes, there are brief moments of a few seconds, where you will be peaking way above 100 hp. But 99.9% of the time, all cars are cruising around at an average power usage way under 50 hp.

...high hp EV...it's available (not green! ).
A high HP EV is still greener than my high HP ICE, at least while driving. There are many reasons for this, already reviewed, including mix of fuel sources from which electric power is generated, and efficiency of electrical power plants and motors versus local ICE.

I'm not making my personal vehicle decisions on how "green" one is, versus another, in fact it usually turns out quite the opposite for this HP junkie. But, I do like knowing the hundreds of millions of commuters who just want four wheels to carry them from point A to point B, have the cleanest option available to them, should their priorities be nobler than my own.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,502  
IF BYD Seagull is imported from Mexico I see why they would sell at the affordable level.
252 miles range 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control etc.
$11500

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,503  
IF BYD Seagull is imported from Mexico I see why they would sell at the affordable level.
252 miles range 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control etc.
$11500
That is what I have been talking about for a while. Inexpensive but decent.

You cannot buy a UTV for that price. Even if it comes in at $15k they will sell a mountain of them. I would be interested in getting one.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,504  
That is what I have been talking about for a while. Inexpensive but decent.

You cannot buy a UTV for that price. Even if it comes in at $15k they will sell a mountain of them. I would be interested in getting one.
Once the car and the company have all the requirements for the U.S., I bet it’s up around 20k.
Still a reasonable price though

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,505  
Once the car and the company have all the requirements for the U.S., I bet it’s up around 20k.
Still a reasonable price though
I doubt it will be that high. The Chinese are not stupid...maybe evil...but not stupid. The US market is huge. They would have designed the car to be easily modified to meet our standards. In regions where those standards are not needed, this offering works.

BYD is looking at building a plant in Mexico. That is not a good sign for the UAW or even Tesla IMO.

If it qualifies for the $7500 tax credit, even at $20k it will cost $12.5k. No one can compete with that.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,506  
I doubt it will be that high. The Chinese are not stupid...maybe evil...but not stupid. The US market is huge. They would have designed the car to be easily modified to meet our standards. In regions where those standards are not needed, this offering works.

BYD is looking at building a plant in Mexico. That is not a good sign for the UAW or even Tesla IMO.
From what I’ve seen with other vehicles, it usually just about doubles in price. It isn’t just what has to be physically altered/added, it’s also the cost of all the red tape, import duties, potential tariffs, distribution networks, dealerships, training ,parts, warranty requirements, crash/safety testing…etc..
I still think it would be reasonable, even when the price ends up at $20k.

BTW: No the Chinese are not stupid. They’re not evil either.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,507  
If it qualifies for the $7500 tax credit, even at $20k it will cost $12.5k. No one can compete with that.
It would not qualify. Not final assembled in the North America( corrected from US.) for one thing.

“BYD hasn’t rushed to introduce EV passenger cars, a market in which it says it could face an unfair disadvantage due to the $7,500 tax credit. Stella Li, executive vice president and head of BYD’s North American operations, said (via Bloomberg), “The company doesn’t need to go into every market, just ones it feels are ready for its offerings.”

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,508  
“But BYD has big ambitions here. Earlier this month it unveiled the Dolphin compact hatchback for Europe, priced at $33,000 after tax”

Not exactly the same model but,….. shows how real pricing ends up being so much more than simply taking a local Chinese market price and converting it to $, like $11.5k😁

Hopefully nobody here is holding their breath for this car to be available in the U.S. for 11.5k. 😆

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,509  
“But BYD has big ambitions here. Earlier this month it unveiled the Dolphin compact hatchback for Europe, priced at $33,000 after tax”

Not exactly the same model but,….. shows how actual pricing is so much more than taking a local Chinese market price and simply converting it to $11.5k

Hopefully nobody here is holding their breath for this car to be available in the U.S. for 11.5k. 😆
The one and only new car I've ever purchased was $12,500 in 2008.