Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,401  
If you think Ford loses a lot of money per EV, consider this, Rivian is losing $43,372 per vehicle, and that's all they sell! I don't know if they're going to make it.

T tax "cuts" let businesses expense 100% without amortizing over the life of the goods. Big investments look like losses.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#15,403  
That is why I said, "battery". Battery storage is necessary to operate a PV Solar system off-grid.

A Tesla Powerwall has battery charge management and inverter built-in. It will fake a grid-tie PV system into operating off-grid.

It actually isn't. You can run a solar array right into an inverter. You just wont have any power when the panels arent producing electricity. Depending on the situation, that might be fine. Like charging an EV during the day, running a pump to water a garden on a timer, etc....thousands of uses. Just not a house if you enjoy power at night lol.

You can do grid tied with battery back up as well. I don't do powerwalls, too many limitations over a real inverter/charge controller/battery bank.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,404  
T tax "cuts" let businesses expense 100% without amortizing over the life of the goods. Big investments look like losses.
You have to admit you can only lose money for so long before it dries up. I'd say Rivian is up against it and most investors are starting to agree with me from the looks of it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,405  
It actually isn't. You can run a solar array right into an inverter.
Of course. But ... you won't have any power when the grid is down. PV or not.

One needs a special off-grid inverter to run PV without grid-tie. Or without a Powerwall to fake the grid and provide a power signal for the PV inverter to sync with.

Without the grid as a buffer one needs battery backup even during the day.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,407  
You have to admit you can only lose money for so long before it dries up. I'd say Rivian is up against it and most investors are starting to agree with me from the looks of it.
I'm just a simple engineer, my math needs to actually net zero, at the end of the day. So, I will never understand accountant's math, but I did once work for and make several million dollars from a company whose CEO ushered in one year's all-company address with, "this is the era of profitless prosperity". It is true, the company was losing money hand over fist, but the stock was doubling at a rate that made our heads spin. Employees good stock options compensation were making 2x - 3x their salary on the stock options, alone.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,408  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,409  
That is a Mercedes-Benz death-spiral because M-B buyers don't want their pathetic EV and no one else does either. Not when we can have Teslas.
This isn’t “all true”, but it’s “half true” by enough to make a financial disaster for MB, and many other legacy makers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,410  
I'm happy this post now has "death spiral" in every reply!
2024_02_23_13.34.54.jpg