Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,391  

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,392  
Rivian stock RIVN is off over 26% after the announcement of a 10% layoff of salaried employees. Shares have lost over 90% of their value since IPO. OUCH!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,393  
If you think Ford loses a lot of money per EV, consider this, Rivian is losing $43,372 per vehicle, and that's all they sell! I don't know if they're going to make it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,394  
EPA
Model Y LR
Annual Fuel Cost* $600

Cost to Drive 25 Miles $1.04

Because of our electricity prices, was able to beat the Model Y Long Range EPA cost estimate

On the worst over 100 mile trip energy use wise this winter that I posted the other day

144 miles 60% battery use of the ~76KWH ( (usable)=45.8 KWH
45.8 x .11 per KWH = $5.04 144 miles travelled

EPA rating above 5 x 1.04 = $5.20 125 miles travelled

Cost to Fill the Tank
*Based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15,000 annual miles and current fuel prices.

An EV like a model 3 or Y does actually do really well as far as energy use if you have cheap electricity and can make the destination and back home without visiting a commercial charger. i did see the range and power use spike when the temps were -F

MPGe considers a gallon of gasoline to be 33.7 kWh.

I have often cited a much more useful MPG$ which is cost per kWh and gallon of gasoline at the rate of the EV's usage.
Rivian stock RIVN is off over 26% after the announcement of a 10% layoff of salaried employees. Shares have lost over 90% of their value since IPO. OUCH!

Pretty rough for sure.

They do have a war chest still, but some reports say they need to produce at least 60000 vehicles a year to make a profit. Rivian is no where near producing that many vehicles.
I hope they make it but Rivian is going through production Hell just like Tesla did.
Have to wonder if their CEO is sleeping on the production floor for weeks on end to solve slow output.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,395  
Since we drove the Hyundai 6400 miles/year that $600/year is about what we paid for gasoline+oil as well as saving $30-40K initial cost...but it's all what someone wants in the end & what works for them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,396  
Noticed this while checking a new plan for one of our vehicles.

1708637193858.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,397  
Since we drove the Hyundai 6400 miles/year that $600/year is about what we paid for gasoline+oil as well as saving $30-40K initial cost...but it's all what someone wants in the end & what works for them.

Funny you travelled about 6400 miles in a year with the MPG car. Same for me, if nothing changes right there now and only have less than a month until the one year anniversary. 6366 miles travelled and $286 in electricity. which I bumped up the KWH by ~10% for losses in the charging between power meter and what gets used in the Y.

I am starting to think it all comes down to reliability once the EV is out of warranty.

My insurance is higher. Also spent about $1600 on snow tire plus wheels and yes it was more expensive to buy.

I like that it reminds me of driving the Trans Am when it is thrown into a corner or the accelerator punched and that it can be driven year round. The ice melter on the roads is OK to get on the Tesla, Not going to do that to one of the classics.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#15,398  
If you think Ford loses a lot of money per EV, consider this, Rivian is losing $43,372 per vehicle, and that's all they sell! I don't know if they're going to make it.

Sounds like early days at Tesla. Ramping up production is hell.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,399  
Funny you travelled about 6400 miles in a year with the MPG car. Same for me, if nothing changes right there now and only have less than a month until the one year anniversary. 6366 miles travelled and $286 in electricity. which I bumped up the KWH by ~10% for losses in the charging between power meter and what gets used in the Y.

I am starting to think it all comes down to reliability once the EV is out of warranty.

My insurance is higher. Also spent about $1600 on snow tire plus wheels and yes it was more expensive to buy.

I like that it reminds me of driving the Trans Am when it is thrown into a corner or the accelerator punched and that it can be driven year round. The ice melter on the roads is OK to get on the Tesla, Not going to do that to one of the classics.
The EVs 10 years from now will be heads and shoulders better than now too.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,400  
No I’m talking off grid setup. None of this on grid garbage. The last thing I need is the power company controlling when and how I generate electricity.
That is why I said, "battery". Battery storage is necessary to operate a PV Solar system off-grid.

A Tesla Powerwall has battery charge management and inverter built-in. It will fake a grid-tie PV system into operating off-grid.