Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,272  
Whoa! We keep hearing EVs are totally impractical because some people rent an apartment and no landlord ever will spend money to provide EV charging!

As if no landlord ever decided to provide a refrigerator in the apartment. Or a dishwasher. Or washer/dryer. Or air conditioning.

Right, they have a place, just not for everyone, everywhere, right now. Some day, sure.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,275  
GM can't get software right on their ICE. Who is to trust their EV?
Ford is no better. I could not get Ford Sync to work with our cell phones (one iPhone and one Android) for more than a week at a time. I would never trust them with FSD.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,276  
Ford is no better. I could not get Ford Sync to work with our cell phones (one iPhone and one Android) for more than a week at a time. I would never trust them with FSD.
Ford Sync was originally (proudly) Microsoft Embedded Windows and it sucked to high heaven.

The latest is QNX, a very good embedded OS now owned by Blackberry Limited. That doesn't prevent developers from producing garbage, but at least when there is garbage it is no longer an artifact of the OS.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,278  
Ford Sync was originally (proudly) Microsoft Embedded Windows and it sucked to high heaven.

The latest is QNX, a very good embedded OS now owned by Blackberry Limited. That doesn't prevent developers from producing garbage, but at least when there is garbage it is no longer an artifact of the OS.
I cuss my wife's 2019 Ford Edge software quite a bit. My biggest complaint is having to go to the home screen to turn off the heated steering wheel instead of the climate control page and the fact that there isn't a physical button to turn it off.

Other annoyances include having to tell it NO, I don't want to connect my cell phone via Bluetooth. How about I let you know when I want to connect.

I'm not a fan of the auto headlights dimming below 35 mph either. I need my brights to watch for deer. I haven't looked to see if that's speed adjustable.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,279  
Just plain wrong
I have no interest arguing with you about it either
Are we talking fuel efficiency? If so, please consider gear ratio and drag. My car gets the best mileage at about 40 mph in 6th gear probably around 1800 rpm. That's nowhere near peak torque or hp.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,280  
Fuel used vs power output from just the engine. Nothing else

That’s the confusion some have, as they only think in terms of normal knowledge total vehicle efficiency, which is totally different because it includes wind resistance, transmission losses,etc
It’s hard for people to comprehend that the engine alone has an efficiency that is higher in the power output than what gives the vehicle the best efficiency, so it makes people think a slow running, lightly loaded engine is efficient, but it isn’t. The loss in engine efficiency is less than the gains from slower vehicle speeds though.