Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,201  
I've said as much over and over again. The "mandates" were virtue signaling by "leaders" wishing to make a name for themselves with something they would never be around to have to enact.
But they used those mandates to waste tax payer dollars just the same.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,202  
No, they are not. Plenty of 40 MPG or worse hybrids. Many are in name only.

I remember a Mercedes-Benz "salesman" with diarrhea of the mouth claim "Toyota stole everything they know from Daimler" while I was sitting next to the then-new hybrid S Class with window sticker rating of 24 MPG highway. While I owned an honest 50 MPG Prius.
Reading Reddit threads where owners share their averages, shows most import sedans are in fact achieving 50mpg. The RAV 4 SUV is averaging 36-43. My ICE CRV will average 31 on a tank in mixed driving. CVT transmissions make a big difference.
A $25k hybrid sedan nearing 50mpg is a great bridge, when an EV of the same size would be $35k plus. Most “cheap” EVs are little more than suitcases with wheels.
We could accomplish a lot of errands with a hybrid and not use any gas more than likely… then also take it on long drives, with no range issues and also clock better than average fuel mileage. Win win win

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,203  
But they used those mandates to waste tax payer dollars just the same.
What does government do without waste?

All that matters within the beltway is the size of one's budget. Has nothing to do with what one does with that budget.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,204  
My Volt friend seldom buys gas... a couple of months between fill-up.

She had a outlet put in with landlord permission at the SF apartment she rents.

The only drivers I know getting 50 or so mpg with ICE were VW diesel owners.

Honda had a base FE series that got great highway mileage

The best mpg for me happened on long trips in a 2001 Corolla... better than 41 mpg and that is almost 25 years ago!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,205  
My Volt friend seldom buys gas... a couple of months between fill-up.

She had a outlet put in with landlord permission at the SF apartment she rents.

The only drivers I know getting 50 or so mpg with ICE were VW diesel owners.

Honda had a base FE series that got great highway mileage

The best mpg for me happened on long trips in a 2001 Corolla... better than 41 mpg and that is almost 25 years ago!
My best mpg in my Mazda 3 manual is about 50 mpg. That's with a tail wind doing about 40mph on my 35 mile drive home from work. My best tank, hand calculated is about 46mpg. Low 40's are easy in the summer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,206  
Depends. Since 2004 Prius has used an electric A/C compressor. Other brands may vary.

The 2004 Prius got cabin heat from engine coolant.

Early Teslas used resistance heat, newer use a heat pump.
Thanks Grump,

A hybrid may not be that great for us. We are 50 miles round trip to town and church and we need heat from November to March in Michigan.

If anyone running a hybrid in a northern state would share their experience I would be grateful.

An EV will not work for us but a hybrid might be feasible. The smaller battery can be charged with a Level 1 charger and we could take longer trips with the ICE backup.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,207  
A b
My best mpg in my Mazda 3 manual is about 50 mpg. That's with a tail wind doing about 40mph on my 35 mile drive home from work. My best tank, hand calculated is about 46mpg. Low 40's are easy in the summer.
Buddy had a long commute after the company he worked for moved to the Central Valley…

He bought a brand new 1989 Honda CRX HF with a stick and averaged 50 mpg… just like the window sticker.

He loved that car and prior was diving a 17 mpg S10 V6 pickup.

We did have excellent mpg for those that wanted it.

My 1938 Bantam 60 Roadster advertised 60 mpg and 60 mpg and that was 75 years ago…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,208  
The Honda Diesel Civic gets great reviews delivering 50mpg and good performance...

But it's not available Stateside...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,209  
It appears the deck is stacked because some of the best blends of mileage and performance are not available in the states...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,210  
The Honda Diesel Civic gets great reviews delivering 50mpg and good performance...

But it's not available Stateside...

My best MPG car was the 1987 Civic DX 5 speed even though It was a California model.

I could always get at least 38 and sometimes up to 43 MPG with it on the hiway.
Sold it still running well, with almost 190K miles.