Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,031  
I admit... I would maybe have some anxiety after driving to work. Parking in 10F temps, and then coming back 4 days later. A good friend of mine did say that he does see noticeable drain while the car sits idle for 4 days in winter weather. He drives nearly 100 miles each direction, so that matters an awful lot to him

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,032  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,034  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,035  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,036  
So far I am absolutely pleased with the MYP, but it does have EV traits that are not flexible... When it needs charged, it needs charged. Luckily for me most all of it's use is within a couple hundred mile range and I can charge at 48 amps at home so it makes sense as much as it can for someone that has to many vehicles to begin with.
Range costs less than the Performance you selected, and makes the trip without a charging stop.
On a 140 ish trip in the MYP today well below freezing temps . Doubt We will need to charge until home since we are at half way of the round trip
216 miles round trip. A Tesla Model Y Long Range costs less than the Performance you selected, and makes the trip without a charging stop.

Back from a 144 mile trip.

Started out with 95% charge, pre heated car outside temp was18*F, speeds between 30-78 MPH. We set interior 71* F and arrived home with 35% battery left- so used 60%.
That is with the studded snow tires at 40 PSI. Temperature at home on return 32*F.

320 watt hour to mile down
304 watt hour to mile back

Not Bad, Not bad at all for the MYP energy use charge of ~ $5.00

ps. I may try a longer trip this summer but it may be a Canada trip.
I hear they have lots of Superchargers on their main hiways.
Chance we would need to take a ferry to cross some water.
Will have to look into whether they allow Teslas.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,038  
Oil Majors Pursue Projects with $30 per Barrel Breakeven | OilPrice.com

It's good to see the majors are getting ready for ICE death spiral event.
If oil companies can breakeven at a lower cost/barrel how does that fuel the ICE death spiral? Lower cost should yield lower prices in a normal market not influenced by government decrees and manipulation.

I know FSD is an important factor in your vehicle choice, but for most people it boils down to $/mile and ease of use. If fuel gets down to the $2.25 range, (back when he must not be mentioned was in the White House), a 30 mpg car costs $750/year for fuel for 10k miles. A Tesla uses about 25kWh/100 miles, and with an average cost of $.16 kWh, it costs $400/yr.

Most people are not going to deal with the hassle of an EV to save $30/mo. The added cost of insurance and depreciation on EV's eat up that $30/month saving...or surpass it!

Cheaper fuel adds to the EV death spiral.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,039  
If oil companies can breakeven at a lower cost/barrel how does that fuel the ICE death spiral? Lower cost should yield lower prices in a normal market not influenced by government decrees and manipulation.

I know FSD is an important factor in your vehicle choice, but for most people it boils down to $/mile and ease of use. If fuel gets down to the $2.25 range, (back when he must not be mentioned was in the White House), a 30 mpg car costs $750/year for fuel for 10k miles. A Tesla uses about 25kWh/100 miles, and with an average cost of $.16 kWh, it costs $400/yr.

Most people are not going to deal with the hassle of an EV to save $30/mo. The added cost of insurance and depreciation on EV's eat up thar $30/month saving...or surpass it!

Cheaper fuel adds to the EV death spiral.
And to acquire an EV with decent range, will cost you.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,040  
but for most people it boils down to $/mile and ease of use.
I know everyone on TBN will only buy something after making charts, doing opportunity cost analysis, reading engineering diagrams, visiting the factory to make sure they’re not wasting money, etc.

Most people I actually know make whatever justification they want for a car purchase but they’re really just buying the car they want.