Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,311  
I don't think most Western countries have the stomach for the pollution creation involved in processing. We happily send it overseas and pretend we are green, when we just have other nations do the dirty work. It's easier to look at a clean refined car on the showroom floor and think how responsible driving it will be... When you don't have to look at what it took to get it there. I'm not certain with current regs the US can do that refining here... We send what REE we mine, overseas for refining, like other hazardous waste we produce.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,312  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,313  
Drivers are holding onto their cars for longer and longer — and that will impact buyers in the service department and at the used car lot. The average age of a vehicle on the road hit 12-and-a-half years, according to a recent analysis from S&P Global Mobility.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,314  
Drivers are holding onto their cars for longer and longer — and that will impact buyers in the service department and at the used car lot. The average age of a vehicle on the road hit 12-and-a-half years, according to a recent analysis from S&P Global Mobility.
Ours are 20, 16 and 7...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,315  
Sounds about right with my new car being a 2011...

I wonder if I get extra credit for 50+ years of ownership?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,317  
My truck 33 years old
Our car 19
Sons car 21

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,318  
My truck 33 years old
Our car 19
Sons car 21
Reduced new car consumption is good.

"A team from Kyushu University says most of the debate over gasoline and electric cars focuses on fuel efficiency and the CO2 emissions they produce. While electricity and hydrogen are cleaner energy sources, the study finds it still takes a lot of energy to build these vehicles. Specifically, researchers find keeping older fuel-efficient cars on the road longer reduces CO2 emissions significantly more than speeding up the global transition to green technology."

End of discussion ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,320  
So will an EV run 20 years with no battery replacement? I mean, my 17 year old car has a residual value of about $6k at this point per KBB. If it needed a $6k battery replacement, it would be worth $0.
Exactly why I will not buy an EV
We keep our vehicles long term and expensive battery replacement is a no go