Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,121  
Seems like the wheels are coming off the EV bus. Cold weather has exasperated the range and charging problems that plague the electric vehicle.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but a large percentage of those who want one have one and it's becoming clear that they aren't the wonder vehicles they've been hyped to be.
Not to say they don't have their place, and become more mainstream as time goes on, but I don't see those 2035 deadlines as realistic.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,122  
Seems like the wheels are coming off the EV bus. Cold weather has exasperated the range and charging problems that plague the electric vehicle.
I believe the biggest plague for the EV owner will be when the batteries need to be replaced $$$$$.... or when all the batteries burn up or in an accident!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,123  
Agreed. I'd bet that EV sales overwhelmingly come from areas where average income is above national average, such as the west coast and New England.
I'm in New England, and I don't see very many, they're rare enough that they stand out. Maybe more if you get closer to Boston. Keep in mind that our electric rates are relatively high, but for the most part gas prices are near the national average.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,124  
Throwaway Cars… doesn’t seem environmentally conscious…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,125  
Oh, then having a way to charge your EV which is more convenient would rule out the EV?
By itself? Absolutely. Right now the range is worse than ICE, and if they tow it’s not even comparable. If I lived in the middle of the city in a house (not apt) and worked at an office 30 min away, it would be more palatable…but I don’t.

#14,126  
Is not free, has become a standard feature on Subarus just like AWD. Is included in the base price just like glass windows and 4 tires.

Compared to Tesla, it’s free.

#14,127  
Stay close to home??, One of my friends drives his EV to the next state on a regular basis to go to work. Charges overnight at his home. Interstate travel, we joke about it!!

It is all about travel distance, planning and watching the weather/temperatures.

He lives one mile from the border! Drives 4 miles to work!🤣

An alternate story I have….fellow colleague at work (this was a hospital in Sacramento) had a Nissan Leaf. Bought it when they lived in Seattle as job was only 15 min away, they had charging stations at his apt and at his place of work. No issues at all. Then took a new job in a town about 30 min East of Sacramento, but lived on the West side of Sacramento. Car would not make it to work and back on 1 charge, new job did not have charging stations. So he had to drive into work an hour or 2 early or stay an hour or 2 after to charge it back up. Was late a number of times because could not find an overnight charging station around his apt (broken or not available).

Ended up getting fired for not showing up to work on time (after multiple incidents)…all because of an EV. This is absolutely true.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,128  
I just got back from the dealership picking up my 2017 GMC 2500HD at the GM dealership. Had to have a little service work done. Talked with the General Manager about EVs. They were one of the 50% of Buick dealerships that sold their Buick franchise back to GM because of the shift to all EVs. There are 5 public charging stations in town, 1 each at the GM, Ford, and Dodge dealerships, plus 2 at the movie theater. Someone keeps stealing the charging cords at all locations, most likely to sell the copper for scrap. After several replacements, he is not going to replace it any longer. They have a charger inside the service bays if they need to charge an EV, so that limits the time a charger is available to when Service is open. He said the other dealerships were doing the same.

The 2 chargers at the movie theater are 7kW chargers with a 2-hour time limit. That would give the average BEV 50-60 miles of range with a 2-hour charge. They only operate from 6 AM to midnight. The nearest Tesla Supercharger is 40 miles away, so you might just make it. So unless you can charge at home, an EV in my town is just not practical. And most new residential construction is apartments, so that limits the ability to charge vehicles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,129  
The Tesla Y is the most popular car today. How does any legislation not set to go into effect for another 10 years impact sales today? If anything, you'd think it'd have the reverse effect, prompting Californians to buy an ICE while they still can, not pushing them toward a mandate they are supposed to dislike.
Who said Californians “dislike” the mandate?
IMHO, Californians would embrace that mandate.