Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,661  
Per Ford:
"The F-150 Lightning with extended-range battery includes the 80A Ford Charge Station Pro as charging equipment. This allows a peak charging power of 19.2kW enabled by the extended-range's dual onboard chargers, which means a full charge from 15-100% in about 8 hours".
That is the L2 AC charge rate using the onboard charger. "Charge Station Pro" is not a charger but an EVSE, a fancy extension cord.
Per MotorTrend:
"How Long Does It Take to Charge a Tesla? Tesla Superchargers are the quickest way to charge a Tesla, adding up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. At a Supercharger, a full charge typically takes about an hour.
That is still not a very good answer. Version 3 Tesla Superchargers are 250 kW. The correct answer is "How much of that can the new NACS to CCS adapter accept?"
"Average supercharger cost 50c per KWh."
This equates to 19c/mile
Maybe in Kalifornia.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,662  
Santa is going to own the coal market.
I like coal. You are jealous your ICE can not run off of coal the way an EV can.

The EV can easily run off darn near anything. Your ICE requires very difficult refining of oil, or difficult fermentation to create ethanol or other biofuels.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,663  
Sure, some will charge EV's during peak hours, which will require us to continue expanding the grid. But even more will charge off-peak, solving a presently-enormous problem with energy storage.
And that is no small part of my argument about the Gas Station Fallacy. That the Gas Station Model does not work for EVs but ICEheads can't shake the notion that everyone has always used gas stations and always will.

Gas Stations are a daytime activity. The worst time to charge an EV especially when it is so cheap and easy to do at home, at night.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,664  

Looks like the automotive industry got reengineered when I was not looking.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,665  
I like coal. You are jealous your ICE can not run off of coal the way an EV can.

The EV can easily run off darn near anything. Your ICE requires very difficult refining of oil, or difficult fermentation to create ethanol or other biofuels.
No doubt. But my 6.4L ICE with variable valved exhaust sounds absolutely sublime. Puts a smile on my face every time those tailpipes bark. :p

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,666  
.gov is the most inefficient proxy of innovation. If you want EV's to be a thing, .gov should not be leading the charge. They are failing. Amazing.

Private companies should be leading this, just give the $7.5billion to elon musk. He knows how to build chargers, owns the standard (though has made it PD) and is proven to get results. This sounds like it is just more corporate/supporter welfare for progressive vote buying.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,669  

The Car Edge data is very telling. EVs with low efficiency and priced $50K+ are not selling in profitable volumes.

The only EV out of the list of 10 that we own is a used 2016 Nissan (the brand that we have owned and driven for the past 50 years) LEAF SL. We bought it showing 22K miles in October 2019 for $13.5K with a dying 30 kWh battery pack with about 60 miles of range left. In February 2020 upgraded it with a new 40 kWh pack giving us a.range of 150 miles.

It is a low cost proof of concept EV that is charged at home. The 330 mile range Model Y with the FSD option is awesome for cross country trips and a daily driver. Both cost 3¢ per mile to fuel at home.

My EV take today if you have a solid ICEV that meets one's physical and emotional needs keep what you have. Vehicles are wasting assets.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,670  
Minimum 216 miles round trip to work on current project for next few years.
Handles the point A-B-A quite nicely and is faster than most anything on the road around me. Currently, less than $2.50/day ‘fuel’ cost. Someday that will change. Today it works.

One of the only vehicles in its price range that can be bought new and sold for more than purchased 10,000miles later. Someday that will also change, like when supply gets remotely close to demand.

Diesel truck stays in the barn unless something besides people needs hauled or I feel the need to drive my manly truck.

……..

Here come the EV will never work comments, EV is a fad, ICE rules, can never use EV to move heavy loads, grid will collapse, commute to grocery store down the block only, a tow truck will never figure out how to get that AWD vehicle on a flatbed, what else? I come here to see the comments of the most closed minded people on the interwebs! Entertainment for me while I sit on the pot.

Never mind some of the largest earth moving machines on the planet are electric and have been for decades.
Those large electric earth moving machines are mostly Diesel electric. There is a large Diesel engine turning a generator to run the electric motors.