Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,151  
A bottom end silverado is 60K +?? Wow Yep December sales are coming for sure
No. If you visit 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 | Pickup Truck, you will see in big bold letters, "$36,300 Starting MSRP". And no one pays MSRP. Not that I'd want the thing, but you could probably get a "bottom end Silverado" at $33k... a far cry from $60k.

That said, the progression of pickup truck pricing is truly astounding. You could, and I did, buy a reasonably-outfitted Quad Cab 4x4 1/2 ton for $26k in 2005. Nearly the same truck cost $46k in 2015. I just now went to ramtrucks.com, and configured a 2022 (not even 2023) as close as possible to my 2015, and it came in a $69k. These prices are increasing at 6% per year, whereas inflation was holding around 1.5% to 2% for most of the last 7 years (2015-2022). According to the BLS, that 2015 truck that had MSRP = $46k should come in around $59k today... not $69k!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,154  
Where are you living ??
That's all you got from my post?

I live in Pennsylvania, but was using national numbers. Our inflation index ran 0.33% to 2.49% under our prior administration, averaging near my quoted 1.5%. It's skipped up to 6% to 9% in the last two years under the new administration, which is why I used the phrase "most of" the last 7 years.

Averaged for the entire period, mid-2015 until today, we're looking at ($59k/$46k)^(1/8) = 3.2%. Very simple math.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,155  
ps. Also Like my MANUAL 6 speed NV 5600 transmission in my truck.

It is a bummer they don't make and sell them anymore for people that want them , but these new diesels put out so much power apparently only the auto transmission can hold up to them.

I had a NV5600 in a Ram, decent trans.
Stronger than the G56 that replaced it, but the G56 was more pleasant to drive.

As the HP went up on the Cummins, the G56 got de-rated at the Autos kept getting stronger and additional power.

G56 sales declined and died. End of an era for sure.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,156  
I was a late manual trans hold-out, brand hopping several times in the last two decades, to get to the few brands that still offered manual trans in the vehicle types I was shopping at each point. Unfortunately, even that method started failing in the mid-2010's, the options just got to be too sparse for practicality. Other factors won out, and now I have three ZF 8HP tranny vehicles in the garage, each with their own programmed "personality".

They aren't terrible, but I do miss my old manual transmission most acutely every time it's snowy or icy. I just don't have the same confidence in what's happening below my feet at road speed with any auto trans, after decades of enjoying the positive engagement offered by a gearbox and clutch.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,157  
Only true manuals I have left are my 6spd KTM 500 and the ol Eaton 9spd in the dump truck.

I was a slow convert, but I can honestly say I’d never go back in my trucks. Sports car, sure (although often slower than their auto or automated manual counterparts), but in a truck just so much better. Especially moving heavy loads from a stop, hard to beat a converter for that. Solid lockup eats up the efficiency loses that used to give manuals their throne.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,158  
As I stated earlier, both the EV and the ICE have basically same metals mined and used in the bodies, interior, wheels, etc, so only the Engine of ICE is extra, but it is very simple and low labour to recycle as aluminum or steel, same as motors for EV.....that leaves the EV batteries as extra unique metals like lithium and cobalt to mine.....it's pretty simple to compare .....or heck just weigh the two side by side......all the extra weight in the EV is unique needs of materials to mine. And those unique metals require complex processes to get pure metals separated from the ore safely.

There is more than one way to procure lithium. These methods are constantly being refined and adapted around the world.
Hard rock Ming extraction of lithium might soon be in the past.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,159  
Y
There is more than one way to procure lithium. These methods are constantly being refined and adapted around the world.
Hard rock Ming extraction of lithium might soon be in the past.

Your right and maybe the few " responsible" countries that have lithium will do that, but like everything nowadays....the countries with cheapest way to do it with the cheapest labour will be the mining volume sellers in the market place, so China , Russia, Africa will be biggest source to hit world markets, not USA or Canada or UK.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,160  
Y

Your right and maybe the few " responsible" countries that have lithium will do that, but like everything nowadays....the countries with cheapest way to do it with the cheapest labour will be the mining volume sellers in the market place, so China , Russia, Africa will be biggest source to hit world markets, not USA or Canada or UK.
As stated hardrock Mining for lithium may soon be a thing Of the past. There are cheaper ways of producing it!

At present the larger of lithium producers do not mine it!