Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,561  
Was just talking to an old guy, well maybe a few years older than me. :) Retired mechanic, gear head since he was a kid, his old man owned a junkyard. We got to talking about cars and such, sounds like he has a fortune in old ICE stuff from around the 50s-60s and some later stuff as well. He still builds one of a kinds when he feels like it. His next project is going to be a 62 Mustang, converting it to BEV. He's building the battery out of cells he's getting from a place in Texas, prismatic cells. Unfortunately, my hearing is poor and i missed what he was going to us for ESC and controller. Said he was going to just tool around with it, putting something like 56KVA or so battery power.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,562  
During our 0˚F freeze a few days before Christmas we lost natural gas pressure. My neighbor who just bought a NG whole hose generator was just as cold as we were. Actually we were a little warmer because we had electric space heaters. We never lost electric power.
We'd have been fine here as well, with two wood stoves in the house. But the point of that post you had quoted was that a BEV paired with a backup genny can be a good backup for failed electric utility in an all-electric home. I suppose if you're on nat.gas, and that utility and electric happen to go down at the same time, then you're truly screwed. But we use buried LP tanks rather than piped-in nat.gas around here, so no such problem for us, or anyone in a similar situation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,564  
Block heaters are usually around 400 watts +/-
True but most codes means a a 120.outlet USA will deliver 15 amps if not 20. On the Leaf 120 volt charging option we can add 6 miles of range per hour.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,565  
Block heaters are usually around 400 watts +/-
So typical 110V outdoor GFCI outlet with an extension cord? Probably on a 20 amp circuit? Wouldn't charge an EV too fast, I'd guess.

Another issue with charging with an extension cord in urban areas, parking lots, apartment complexes, on the street, etc., is I'd guess extension cord/charger cord theft would be fairly common.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,566  
Thank goodness for Full Self Driving.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,567  
The Vancouver and Victoria area are usually much warmer in the winter than the rest of Canada.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,568  
Was just talking to an old guy, well maybe a few years older than me. :) Retired mechanic, gear head since he was a kid, his old man owned a junkyard. We got to talking about cars and such, sounds like he has a fortune in old ICE stuff from around the 50s-60s and some later stuff as well. He still builds one of a kinds when he feels like it. His next project is going to be a 62 Mustang, converting it to BEV. He's building the battery out of cells he's getting from a place in Texas, prismatic cells. Unfortunately, my hearing is poor and i missed what he was going to us for ESC and controller. Said he was going to just tool around with it, putting something like 56KVA or so battery power.
I've never heard of a '62 Mustang...but converting any ice Mustang to electric is blasphemy! Sounds like guy is a nut!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,570  
It would have resembled this.

1678378594329.png