Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,131  

If that is the case, then this guy is saying that without Elon, nobody at Tesla can lead, and innovate and that the right thing we should do is short Tesla out of existence.

Why?

Because it has been asserted that Tesla is nothing more than a personality cult company.

To which I say, Meh.

Tesla's software, solar and battery developments are the most interesting emerging aspects of the company, not the cars themselves.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,132  
If that is the case, then this guy is saying that without Elon, nobody at Tesla can lead, and innovate and that the right thing we should do is short Tesla out of existence.

Why?

Because it has been asserted that Tesla is nothing more than a personality cult company.

To which I say, Meh.

Tesla's software, solar and battery developments are the most interesting emerging aspects of the company, not the cars themselves.
Rob is one of the more level headed sources of details on Tesla. This covers a lot of the advances and the recent version of FSD. The 4th generation of FSD hardware will start being phased in and I expect that may be done by 2025-2026. 5 years later FSD may be close to regulatory approval.

In the meantime, all Tesla owners with FSD installed hardware will see benefits even in the free included autopilot and other features.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,133  

Why?

To which I say, Meh.

I can see why Eberhard has an ax to grind with Elon. From Wiki:

In June 2009, Eberhard brought a lawsuit against Elon Musk for libel, slander, and breach of contract, alleging that Musk pushed him out of the company, publicly disparaged him, and compromised Tesla's financial health.[16] In August 2009, Eberhard dropped the lawsuit for undisclosed reasons. A Tesla spokesperson declined to comment on the change, raising the likelihood of a settlement.[17] In September 2009, Tesla confirmed the settlement, but did not provide further details.[18]

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,134  
I can see why Eberhard has an ax to grind with Elon. From Wiki:

In June 2009, Eberhard brought a lawsuit against Elon Musk for libel, slander, and breach of contract, alleging that Musk pushed him out of the company, publicly disparaged him, and compromised Tesla's financial health.[16] In August 2009, Eberhard dropped the lawsuit for undisclosed reasons. A Tesla spokesperson declined to comment on the change, raising the likelihood of a settlement.[17] In September 2009, Tesla confirmed the settlement, but did not provide further details.[18]

If Eberhard was worth it, he would have continued innovating on his own like Steve Jobs did with Pixar (later sold to Disney) and NEXT Computer (later sold to Apple and whose operating system continues to be the underlying OS to both Macintosh OSX and iOS) and stagged the most famous second-coming in business history at Apple going on to innovate the ever popular iMacs, now defunct, but stupid cool at the time iPods which morphed into ever popular iPads, invented the iPhone because cell phones had sucked (trust me as a guy who had been using them since 1994).

Or as the video I made 15 years ago humorously details...

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,135  
Rob is one of the more level headed sources of details on Tesla. This covers a lot of the advances and the recent version of FSD. The 4th generation of FSD hardware will start being phased in and I expect that may be done by 2025-2026. 5 years later FSD may be close to regulatory approval.

In the meantime, all Tesla owners with FSD installed hardware will see benefits even in the free included autopilot and other features.

Underlying this is every Tesla out there is collecting data and with more and more data the self-driving aspect becomes safer and safer with scale.

Data collection-wise, many think the real reason Musk purchased Twitter (the largest non-profit ever purchased for $44B as Elon just Tweeted LOL) was to use Twitter as an enormous data gathering network for making better AI.

On the other hand, Musk is famous for telling everybody that AI is the most dangerous technology in development, and that whosoever controls the inputs on AI will control the world because it is not when AI will lie to us, it is how often and on what subjects AI will lie to us.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,136  
many think the real reason Musk purchased Twitter ... was to use Twitter as an enormous data gathering network for making better AI.

On the other hand, Musk is famous for telling everybody that AI is the most dangerous technology in development, and that whosoever controls the inputs on AI will control the world because it is not when AI will lie to us, it is how often and on what subjects AI will lie to us.
Now that's scary. And I think we're much farther along that path than is realized.

Example this week is the wildly divergent opinions on the Ohio rail disaster. I can't help but think different people are hearing different narratives, depending on what the news sources already know about them. And this is calculated. Fine-tuned, even.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,138  
@sd455dan this is some of the evolution history behind our Model Y dual motor from 8 years ago. After driving on water covered ice in the storm from a few weeks ago, I realized I could get rid of my 2010 Subaru Forester. This video covers how Tesla beats Subaru as the best traction vehicle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,139  
After driving on water covered ice in the storm from a few weeks ago, I realized I could get rid of my 2010 Subaru Forester.
I guess it depends on why one would need a Forester in the first place. Both are 4x4. but ...

Tesla - If you have to drive on ice its superior for traction, and safer.

Forester - I think is better for this kind of adventure.

I want to buy a Model Y but I'll have to keep the Outback along with it, for real 4x4 use.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,140  
I guess it depends on why one would need a Forester in the first place. Both are 4x4. but ...

Tesla - If you have to drive on ice its superior for traction, and safer.

Forester - I think is better for this kind of adventure.
An
I want to buy a Model Y but I'll have to keep the Outback along with it, for real 4x4 use.
I couldn't get excited about going off road in a $55K vehicle but many do. :)