Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,971  
Sandy sounds exciting but I want to sleep on this story.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,972  
@California you're making me miss the wife's old Baja; I loved that vehicular hermaphrodite so much!
Subarus are great! This one's been places ... now nearly 24 years worth. Always made it back.

SubaruDownIntoClaim2001-image16.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,973  
CAT autonomous EV mining trucks.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,974  
Update on Tesla Model Y delivery.

They pushed delivery almost a month forward to possibly the last 2 days of March. This might affect the Tax implications on the $7500 as well :rolleyes:

Oh well- can't drive it right now anyways. Maybe it will be delivered about when I can actually walk.:D

At least Tesla's current delivery delays are measured in days or a month Not months to years.
I hope your walking and delivery dates are soon.

My delivery 6 days after placing my order was amazing. I have no way of knowing the date of its build but I know it's build date was January 2023. I am taken back how fast they got so far behind on new deliveries. I understand that they had an inventory in the US of 1,000 model Y when the $13,000 price cut hit. I went with the blue and the tow package option thinking it might trigger a new bill. Or perhaps they just happen to have it in inventory because they knew my order was coming. 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,975  
Hopefully this is a quick fix.

I read today that the far was in a lightning parked in the manufacturing parking lot. I think. That is a good thing that didn't happen and someone's home, but there is not any details. I don't think they yet released specific details but that is the same kind of cells that the bolt used.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,976  
Ahh, the interwebs, where advising people to take control over when their car updates and to be selective about which updates they install becomes a fear of computers and progress.
Sure. But one bad apple doesn't ruin the batch. OTA updates fix numerous problems and offer many new feature sets. Whether Windows OS, an iPhone, or your car, users tend to complain about every new feature for a week, and then adapt. Ask anyone a few years later to go back to the older system (try using an iPhone 3 recently?!?), and they'll laugh in realizing how stupid and backwards it was, by comparison to the updates over which they had previously griped.
I can give you other examples where people had their cars updated the old fashioned way at the dealer where the end result was unsatisfactory, like reduced mpg or more annoying idiot proofing features being added. Not every update is a benefit to the end user. Like NoTrespassing said, better to let other people be the guinea pigs first.

Ever hear of diminishing returns? Does showing an album's cover art on the vehicle's distract-o-tainment display really count as progress? Is it's minuscule benefit, if any, worth the effort and risk for the manufacturer or for an owner to update their vehicle's software for? And since you've made this about everything, not just cars, how many man hours have been wasted "adapting" because of every needless software update with new "feature sets" that few users ever use? Windows 8 might be a good example. I got lucky and never had to use it, but I could hear my boss down the hall cussing it out on an almost daily basis until 10 came out (which greatly reduced, but did not eliminate the bitching).

It would be a shame if Ford shutting down the Escape assembly line because of a software issue turns out to be due to all the useless junk in the code that has nothing to do with transporting people and their stuff from point A to point B (the true purpose of a car, which people have seem to have forgotten with this fixation on useless features).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,978  
What was the final price?
$47.5K with the new USA tax rebate or $55K without. That booted the $50K Toyota RAV4 Prime option out the door. Safety was my first objective and a path to full self-driving down the road was my second objective but today's Autopilot with active Self Steering is meeting my safety objective.

When I bought the 2015 Prius C last summer to rule in or out the Toyota RAV4 Prime option that could not even be placed on order. I ordered the 2023 Tesla Model Y dual motor long range.(330 miles) 14 Jan 2023 and picked it up in Nashville 20 Jan 2023 with ordered options of Metallic Blue and 3500 lb tow package.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,980  
That's great, Gale! I had shopped the Model X when replacing our wagon with an SUV in 2020, and the X Performance was being advertised near $80k, but the actual cash price was $109k, after you removed their "implied savings" and the claimed rebate that was no longer available at that time. As much as I liked the idea of it, $109k for 5 seats lost to $65k for 7 seats, among other features we'd have had to give up with the Tesla.

My next three car replacements will be 2025 - 2032, and I anticipate at least two of the three will go BEV, if they get the pricing near parity with ICE. Heck, ICE might not even be an option, by then, so I guess I just hope they get the pricing down.