Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,831  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,832  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,833  
Oh no, weather changed and now this happens - - -

Tesla Model S is burnt beyond recognition on Pennsylvania highway in fire sparked by debris that got stuck in undercarriage: Crews take TWO HOURS to extinguish 'constantly reigniting' battery fire​

• A family in Pennsylvania on a road trip to Massachusetts escaped serious injury when their Tesla burst into flames after debris got trapped underneath it
  • According to the local fire department, the debris caused the Tesla Model S to begin smoking before it eventually caught fire
  • It took firefighters two hours of continually applying water to the blaze before the fire was extinguished
  • The department said that the car's lithium battery caused the fire to constantly reignite
  • There were no injuries as a result of the inferno
By PAUL FARRELL FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 10:34 EST, 18 November 2022 | UPDATED: 14:59 EST, 18 November 2022

The fire occurred along Interstate 80, an hour north of Pittsburgh, around 11:00 am Tuesday.

1668873841038.png

1668873888059.png

In the years of driving down highways and interstates, especially at night, the semi-truck re-tread tires that lay in the roadway I've run over countless of times.
I wonder if there was something like that for this Tesla S to cause the trouble. In all my years hitting these stupid re-treads, only a cracked windshield damage occurred cross country on the I-90 as the other vehicle in front spun a remnant retread at my vehicle at 75mph.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,835  
Zero emissions.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,838  
Makes one wonder if EV cars have similar regulations about battery survival in a crash as liquid fuel cars to with fuel tanks.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,839  
I've been thinking the same thing. The time is right for the Ralph Naders and Gov regulators to step up and make affordable EVs....... not affordable, like the Muscle Cars of the early 70's.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,840  
Makes one wonder if EV cars have similar regulations about battery survival in a crash as liquid fuel cars to with fuel tanks.
Never heard that this should been any problem, most EV have the batteries in the middel, that part of a care that is strongest, it's low and flat so most damage will go over the battery.

We have had one very large parking house fire at an airport an all EV survived the fire in that sens that the batteries did not burn even when the car burned. And no, it was diesel driven Opel that startet the fire.