Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,931  
I've said it before, say it again...I'm not against EVs!
I AM against mandates and lack of choices.
What suits one's needs won't suit another. Case in point...my 95 yo Mother has a 2006 Hyundai Elantra, last new car Dad (rip) bought. 38K miles on it. Car isn't worth much, although garaged, taxes cheap. Yes...farm has 60A service.
America has plenty of oil, fuel should be $2.50/gal...but that car will outlive Mom.
What would be the total cost...her switching to electric? Total...$100K? What's the purpose?
People simply have to realize everything comes at a price.
In a few years I'll get to see towers from my back yard.
Progress???View attachment 755476
This happened to my neighbor…

After 60 years of marriage they bought a brand new Cadillac in 1985 which they really enjoyed… garage kept and as new when he passed it had 23,000 miles.

The widow drove it to grocery and doctor appointments and she passed at 102.

Anyway her granddaughter came to visit and detested the Cadillac… talked grandma into trading that 20 year old clunker for a Prius.

Grandma detested the Prius saying it was a spaceship and confusing… when grandma passed the Prius was 10 years old with 1,900 miles…

Not sure how much gas grandma saved… but till the week she passed she missed her Cadillac and the wonderful memories she and her husband had with the car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,932  
I’ve asked it before. Ask it again: who is “mandating“ EVs? And who is limiting choices?
Do your own research. Here's some: (Where have you been?)

"calmatters.org
Jun 9, 2022 — The rules would mandate increased sales of electric or other zero-emission vehicles in California, beginning with 35% of 2026 models."

Another:
"To date, 12 states have adopted the ZEV Program (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington). The ZEV program requires increasing sales of ZEVs over the next decade."

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,933  
It has been customary to Grandfather existing which most people can live with knowing change happens when replacing.

This is no longer the case as I can show you commercial grade Stihl, Echo and Husky gas powered Blowers and Brush cutters now illegal to operate in city limits… simply banned by decree.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,934  
I suggest that if you don't want to buy an EV, don't move to California, and don't buy an EV. My guess is that most who are so agitated on this thread will never own an EV. I'm fine with that.

On the other hand, more and more consumers are buying EVs or planning to.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,935  
If the right one comes along I would like to emulate my EV colleagues and charge from my owned home and office pannels…

I currently have enough excess production at home for one commuter and with the new push to reduce purchase of excess home solar generation to nothing it would be a good move… or maybe just replace my gas water heater with electric when the time comes?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,936  
This happened to my neighbor…

After 60 years of marriage they bought a brand new Cadillac in 1985 which they really enjoyed… garage kept and as new when he passed it had 23,000 miles.

The widow drove it to grocery and doctor appointments and she passed at 102.

Anyway her granddaughter came to visit and detested the Cadillac… talked grandma into trading that 20 year old clunker for a Prius.

Grandma detested the Prius saying it was a spaceship and confusing… when grandma passed the Prius was 10 years old with 1,900 miles…

Not sure how much gas grandma saved… but till the week she passed she missed her Cadillac and the wonderful memories she and her husband had with the car.
Back in highschool when I got my drivers license, my great aunt gave me her 65 Belair.

She was spending $1 per mile for gas, insurance, and registration. granted she was only averaging 300 miles driven per year on the car

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,937  
Do your own research. Here's some: (Where have you been?)

"calmatters.org
Jun 9, 2022 — The rules would mandate increased sales of electric or other zero-emission vehicles in California, beginning with 35% of 2026 models."

Another:
"To date, 12 states have adopted the ZEV Program (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington). The ZEV program requires increasing sales of ZEVs over the next decade."
OK. Thanks for the calmatters post. Where have i been? Doing my own thing instead of spending time on the internet and worrying about what California is doing.

But seeing that, I do agree that such a “Proposed” mandate is wrong. Not sure about the 2nd part of your reply about other states. If that is true, then, again, I agree that is wrong of them also. I just don’t spend time looking for such stuff on the internet.

BUT, even agreeing it is wrong - if I either have no control over such things or am unwilling to step up and actually try to do something about it, I see no purpose in grumbling about it in web forums.

Thanks for the reply, though. Finally a specific answer and link to what the grumbling is about……

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,938  
My understanding is the "green new deal" is in stages, mandating end of ice car, truck, tractor, mower, chainsaw, etc. manufacture and most likely at some point even owning/driving. As fuel prices increase, as more people buy/embrace EVs, ending ice production...that's the elimination of choice.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,939  
I am against ‘forced change’ for sure.

Ban on small lawn ICE is crazy, happening all over it seems. Even though I think the small electric pruning saws are amazing.

I’m gonna need gas at $0.50/gal to meet the financial equivalent for fuel.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,940  
Two saws I use all the time, a Sthil MS291 & Greenworks battery. Each fantastic but very different applications. My collection of Dewalt 20v tools I use all the time too.