Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,921  
My dads house (on a farm) only has a 60A feed. A lot of rural areas pre 1970s are like that.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,922  
Yes things will be great! No tantrum here...just sit back & watch. There won't be rate or tax increases, simply free power!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,923  
The 2009 ice storm took down miles and miles of old poles and the Federal disaster funds paid a lot of the rebuild. We are getting single to 3 phase.grid conversions around here like crazy. We have had fiber to the house for 15+ years so living in the boondocks seems to be good for getting massive federal funding. Our phone system went copper underground 50+ years ago with NO party lines.

I am told locally we are EV ready grid wise.

Nearly every time I get out the subject of EVs comes up. I even got coal rolled yesterday.

I don't think there's any business minded people left that are anti EV. EVs just do not make financial sense for many. The ICEV cost and higher operating costs than EVs is driving the paradigm in the USA today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,924  
Cell phones will never work. There aren’t towers anywhere!! Cart before the horse. Need to install 100,000 cell phone towers before we start selling those cell phones.

ICE cars will never work. There aren’t gas stations anywhere!! Cart before the horse. Need to install 100,000 gas stations before we start selling those cars.

Air travel will never work. There aren’t airports anywhere!! Cart before the horse. Need to build 10,000 airports before we start building airplanes.

Residential air conditioners will never work!!
My neighbor 10 miles down the road only has a 30A service in his house. Cart before the horse, we need to replace everything from plants, to distribution to residential circuitry before we sell any of these air conditioners.

This Google search engine will never work!! There aren’t 100 data centers to support the traffic 30yrs from now. Cart before the horse. Need to build all those data centers for load that doesn’t exist yet before we roll this thing out.

Amazon will never work!! Our shipping companies can’t handle the load!! Cart before the horse. We need to buy 10,000 more brown trucks before the 1st Amazon package can ship.

Shall I go on?

There were 8 Tesla super chargers in 2013, now over 2,000. I’d say they are working on infrastructure.

Many other private charging outfits out there installing as well.

Just replaced a huge chunk of 138kv transmission lines near me with new towers.
My house electrical service is 320/400A, my utility transformer is plenty adequate. Do we need to halt all things that draw power because a 100yo house only has a 30A service? I mean, my plasma cutter draws more than that, should probably ban them because the ‘grid isn’t ready’

Why is it impossible to upgrade distribution as required with short term forecasting?

I definitely agree more generation is needed, ERCOT running on the ragged edge during peaks is stupid, need to get some nukes in the plans to handle most of the base load. Spin up natural gas when needed, if there is some solar that makes sense without the federal gov $$, awesome. Seems we are decommissioning plants at a far faster rate than we are bringing them online, but I’m far from in the weeds of ERCOT planning.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,925  
Some utilities are better than others...

At 40 cents a kW it would seem money would not be the problem but with record fines, historic payouts and many deaths and billions and billions in damage I expect older areas to remain the step child...

Maybe why many jumped on Comcast is because it was all new cable on 100 year old poles?

Still have cotton twisted pair phone and knife switch main disconnects common in a city of 450k in a region of 10 million.

Many infill projects stopped cold because utility charges to upgrade to serve new construction make projects unviable... in some cases costing more than the project...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,926  
The 2009 ice storm took down miles and miles of old poles and the Federal disaster funds paid a lot of the rebuild. We are getting single to 3 phase.grid conversions around here like crazy. We have had fiber to the house for 15+ years so living in the boondocks seems to be good for getting massive federal funding. Our phone system went copper underground 50+ years ago with NO party lines.

I am told locally we are EV ready grid wise.

Nearly every time I get out the subject of EVs comes up. I even got coal rolled yesterday.

I don't think there's any business minded people left that are anti EV. EVs just do not make financial sense for many. The ICEV cost and higher operating costs than EVs is driving the paradigm in the USA today.
"the boondocks seems to be good for getting massive federal funding."
Print Monopoly money, increase taxes.
Where's the free lunch?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,927  
14k to run Comcast to home in Washington... all neighboring homes have it at time of roll out and all overhead.

The rules change and now county requires underground so cost to have what others have out of this world...

Property manager says not having cable or over air broadcast or reliable SAT eliminate 99% of interested renters so bite the bullet and go underground.

First new renters say take it out .. no need for anything other than landline... go figure?

On a side note the 14k installation work was first rate and the crew said it was like working in a national park compared to their typical urban underground work...

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,928  
I've said it before, say it again...I'm not against EVs!
I AM against mandates and lack of choices.
What suits one's needs won't suit another. Case in point...my 95 yo Mother has a 2006 Hyundai Elantra, last new car Dad (rip) bought. 38K miles on it. Car isn't worth much, although garaged, taxes cheap. Yes...farm has 60A service.
America has plenty of oil, fuel should be $2.50/gal...but that car will outlive Mom.
What would be the total cost...her switching to electric? Total...$100K? What's the purpose?
People simply have to realize everything comes at a price.
In a few years I'll get to see towers from my back yard.
Progress???
20220723_124728.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,929  
I’ve asked it before. Ask it again: who is “mandating“ EVs? And who is limiting choices?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,930  
"the boondocks seems to be good for getting massive federal funding."
Print Monopoly money, increase taxes.
Where's the free lunch?
Mitch keeps winning elections. :)