Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,911  
Is there any actual basis to this rant?

Are there people that say energy will be free and petroleum won’t be required because of EVs?

Sign me up for the free energy, that way I can widdle down the unreasonable fuel cost of 1.7c/mi I’m currently seeing
Search "does the us produce its own oil".
Also search "facetiousness"

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,912  
I guess the beauty of electricity is that, like hot water radiant heat, you can generate it from so many single and/or multiple sources.

It may not be the most efficient means (there’s losses in about everything), but it works.

With that said, there really hasn’t been great advances in electric car tech in 114 years.

1908 - Fritchle Electric car - 100 mile range (proven), $2000 (~ $64,000 today)

2022 - Tesla model 3 - 358 mile range (estimated), about $65,000.

Read about him and his car. Regenerative braking. Child car seats. Battery distance indicator. 1908.

View attachment 755438

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,913  
The grid is in serious need of an overhaul. EV or not!
I try to use common sense here: 1) yes, our electric grid works NOW except in more populated areas which is why keeping thermostat at 78 is recommended.
2) replacing untold thousands of ICE vehicles with EVs require charging which stresses the marginal electric grid. It would have to be upgraded to keep up with demand.
Common sense. Explain where I'm wrong.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,914  
Problem is, is that utility companies don't want to spend the money (a lot) because they will pass that cost on to their subscribers in the form of higher rates and that won't make their subscribers very happy.

As more and more people switch to electric powered stuff (not just cars but power tools and lawnmowers and many other items), the existing grid becomes more and more taxed. At some point it will fail, it's inevitable.

I well remember about 25 years ago when it failed here and no one had any power for a week and it was in the summer and it wasn't pretty. If it had been in the winter people would have froze to death. All because of the cascading effect of a transmission line shorting out and power plants down line automatically tripping off.

I remember that quite well.

In my view, we are putting the cart before the horse with EV and such.

Utility providers need to get their ducks in order first or bad things will happen to the consumers of the power.
Yes...what I'm saying...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,915  
Yes...what I'm saying...
Only a matter of time Fuddy and the grid will fail and then what? Instead of utility companies being pro active about improvements, the tend to rest on their laurels but those 'laurels' will turn into dried flowers at some point in the not to distant future. Mind of goes hand in hand with shuttering conventional coal, NG and nuclear plants as well. They reduce baseload capacity while at the same time the demand increases, a great recipe for failure and it will. Just look at Texas last winter to see what the outcome will be.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,916  
I guess the beauty of electricity is that, like hot water radiant heat, you can generate it from so many single and/or multiple sources.

It may not be the most efficient means (there’s losses in about everything), but it works.

With that said, there really hasn’t been great advances in electric car tech in 114 years.

1908 - Fritchle Electric car - 100 mile range (proven), $2000 (~ $64,000 today)

2022 - Tesla model 3 - 358 mile range (estimated), about $65,000.

Read about him and his car. Regenerative braking. Child car seats. Battery distance indicator. 1908.

View attachment 755438
It wasn't practical then, it's not practical now...yet. It takes lots of planning. Cart before the horse.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,917  
It wasn't practical then, it's not practical now...yet. It takes lots of planning. Cart before the horse.
it could be practical if utility providers used their heads about it, but they won't.

Here, I'm witnessing KWH rates increasing every billing cycle and people are whining about it but of course the never take into consideration the cost of the fuel used to provide their juice. Idiots.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,918  
Wait until electricity goes WAY up. That's when you'll hear whining from everyone including EV owners. (Wait for my evisceration).
"We'll put in free solar panels!"...etc.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,919  
I prefer to say cart with the horse. As EVs come on line, the grid will be upgraded. Heck, in our area, the power company has been upgrading the distribution lines on a constant basis. There are two brand new gas fired power plants within 10 miles of me. As we travel I see many of the high tension power lines being replaced with newer towers and larger conductors.

It’s not going to happen overnight, but it’s going to happen. You can kick and scream all you want, but you’re going to be left sitting on the floor in the candy isle like a mom leaves her baby when it has a tantrum.….

Until CPS shows up, cuffs the mom, puts the kid in foster care, and… oh well. You get my point. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,920  
I prefer to say cart with the horse. As EVs come on line, the grid will be upgraded.
I hope you're right...but I wouldn't put money on it...
I don't expect much unless we go back to nuclear power...and the government provides heavy subsidies to the power industry (i.e. tax increases)
My concern is power companies could be bought by outside interests (read China) and we would be held hostage by what I consider a serious enemy of the US