Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,512  
Reality is starting to set in.

ICE will fade out with or without banning, fuel is to expensive, the same with ICE cars.
Germany do at this time feel the pain of being to dependent on imported oil and gas, and Germany is not alone, oil is a fantastic product for those countries who produces it, like Norway but a royal pain for everyone else.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,513  
Yeah, but... that was another "designed to fail" so-called-test.

The ICE with 600+ mile range goes 157 miles! Win!
The EV with 310 mile range goes 90 miles! Loser!

They rant about the EV only going 1/3rd the rated empty range, but the ICE only went 1/4th.

Didn't you find it strange how when supposedly "EVs lack infrastructure" these lazy "journalists" just so happened to run low on charge at a major fast charging site half way to their destination? They knew in advance exactly where they would nee to stop.

They say in passing the charge costs $27 and make a big deal about "45 minutes" but say nothing about how much per kWh or the charge site's rate of charge, or what rate of charge they got, while we saw a picture of the gas pump and cost of gasoline.

Locally, Electrify America (the charge network they used, the one paid for with Federal fines collected from VW & others) bills about 3x per kWh what it costs me at home.
The stated point of the experiment was range, with fuel economy second. The electric truck had a lot of trouble computing range, and kept recalculating. At one point, it recalculated that they weren’t going to make it to the charging station that it earlier said it could make it to, so they had to turn around to go back to a charging station.

And, the gas truck still had 67 miles left after it completed the trip. So it could have gone 220 miles, which is more than 1/3, not 1/4. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,514  
And, the gas truck still had 67 miles left after it completed the trip. So it could have gone 220 miles, which is more than 1/3, not 1/4. ;)
Nice. You read the article to comprehend. Seems the others read over it lightly and missed that part.

One other take-away, all this was done in 'nice' weather. IF this evaluation was done at 27F, the outcome would show the EV towing to drop further in range.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,515  
Nice. You read the article to comprehend. Seems the others read over it lightly and missed that part.

One other take-away, all this was done in 'nice' weather. IF this evaluation was done at 27F, the outcome would show the EV towing to drop further in range.
I’m the one that posted the original video. I watched it before I posted it. Someone else posted a link to an article about the video. Anywho…

The electric truck costs way less to “fuel” than the gas truck. Way less.

But that wasn’t the point of the video. The point was to compare towing range between the electric truck and the gas truck, costs be darned. The gas truck was the winner in that test. It just plain went almost twice the distance with reserves.

I’m sure a contractor or non-professional could make good use of an electric truck around town. But if you have to haul something 100 miles, you’ll have to plan for a stop along the way. If there’s no fast charging station near your destination, you may not even be able to do it in one stop because you have to plan for the return trip. As they say, time is money. However, how much is that time valued to the individual, and can they justify that time VS the cost saving. It could turn a 12 hour day into a 14 hour day. Or, it could add just 40 minutes.

I can’t see someone wanting to haul a camper with an electric truck. There would just be too many stops.

The point they made about parking at the charging stations is also a valid concern. The charging stations require perpendicular parking, while gas stations allow parallel parking. Pulling up to a charging station with a trailer blocks traffic. The only way to not block traffic would be to drop the trailer, go charge, then pick up the trailer again. Which ads more time to the trip, and leaves the trailer exposed to theft (albeit a small chance, I’d not want to drop a trailer in a mall parking lot, even if I was only 100 yards away).

I know this is a fledgling technology, and there’s going to be growing pains. However, I’m still at the point where I’d keep my Suburban for towing, our gas car for long highway trips, pay the fuel costs, and maybe consider an electric car as a 3rd vehicle for local trips.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,516  
EVs my thought is for short daily routine drives a small car may make sense. Otherwise people are really going to be pixxed especially waiting in lines, rerouting finding a charger, and everyone will be pixxed once they discover how high their electric bill goes up.
EVs wouldn't be so attractive if fuel was less than two dollars a gallon which it should be.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,517  
Even at $2 a gallon EVs are much less expensive to operate. No oil changes either. Practicality will win out hopefully.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,518  
EVs wouldn't be so attractive if fuel was less than two dollars a gallon which it should be.

So an honest ? y should it be?

Personal desire? Or do you know of some fundamentals that point to 2?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,519  
I can't wait to get one...and they're inexpensive also!
Anyway, I believe this is the video: