Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,431  
Such websites which posted erroneous route estimates have died. I find their estimates have been reasonable for my 540 mile days but failed to update for a Tesla firmware change which greatly slowed the rate my 2013 charged at Superchargers. The times are reasonable for a 2016 model.

What the EV planning sites do not do very well is warn of chargers out of order. The reputation of all but Tesla is a joke. As often as not, a CCS or CHAdeMO charger is offline. Which is no small part of the “problems” in the two recently cited smear pieces articles.

PlugShare does the best job of tracking out of order. Doesn’t do route planning. Relies on registered users (free) to report the status. But that means someone had to go to the site and not be able to charge.

Tesla does route planning in-car. For laughs I entered Temecula, CA as destination from my home in north Alabama. 1988 miles, 38 hours 31 minutes including charging my old Model S which charges 3 to 4 times slower than the current Tesla batteries.
That would take me about 28 hours in the Suburban. It would also use about 177 gallons of gas. 😬 I can drive about 18-20 hours. Then I have to stop. Start getting woogly.

We did the return trip from Stillwater, OK to South Bend through Chicago last weekend. 812 miles. 11hours 21 minutes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,433  
1) fuel prices rise, thus making EVs more attractive.
2) rebates and tax credits are icing on the cake.
3) the increase of EVs means more charging stations, more grid upgrades
4) federal gas tax is removed! Now gas $4.79 instead of $4.97/gal
Now.....we move into the future.....
(This is getting fun isn't it?)
5) everyone's electric bill goes up
6) federal 18c gas tax now added as electric tax
7) "As for an EV left unattended after charge complete, the site knows. Tesla bills $1/minute."
Ah-ha! Waiting for a charge you buy soda, coffee, etc. Because you had a 15 minute wait you're now billed $15.
8) free charging stations disappear
9) soon things "back to '"normal'" and everyone pays 20c/mile.
However...we're saving planet Earth.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,434  
If it is good enough to run your lights, air conditioner, computer, internet, hair dryer, and TV then why is it not good enough for a car?
Because I don't have an EV. People don't understand charging off of the grid which is primarily generated by nat. gas, coal, etc.
Batteries, solar panels, wind all create manufacturing pollution.
When we ride our horses we create NO pollution. Zero.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,435  
My wife went out test driving cars today. She's on the hunt. Talking to a salesman that has an electric car. He said it added 8 hours to his trip from here to Florida due to having to stop and charge, and added a day to his trip. Wish I was there to interrogate him to find out what car he was talking about.
An ICE salesman did that! No more honest profession on Earth (possibly excepting CNN and MSNBC journalists). That just proves it! EVs are impractical!

What? In a Nissan LEAF or BMW i3?

My slowed-by-firmware-change old Model S takes 3 hours to charge along 540 miles from Alabama to Ft Wayne IN.

When drained to 30 miles remaining a friend’s Model 3 LR added 250 miles in 35 minutes at a latest version 250 kW Tesla Supercharger. She could have got there faster stopping twice for 125 miles each time but had never tried adding 250 miles at a 250 kW Supercharger.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,436  
Because I don't have an EV. People don't understand charging off of the grid which is primarily generated by nat. gas, coal, etc.
Why do you think horses were outlawed in the cities a hundred years ago :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,437  
My wife went out test driving cars today. She's on the hunt. Talking to a salesman that has an electric car. He said it added 8 hours to his trip from here to Florida due to having to stop and charge, and added a day to his trip. Wish I was there to interrogate him to find out what car he was talking about.

Friend of mine had EV for a rental. Took him many hours to get home in what should have been 2 hr trip. Driving in wind, the estimated mileage was way off batteries died much quicker, had to go out of his way to find charger only to find it wasn’t a public charger. But they let him charge. Charged couple hours, left batteries again drained faster than the estimated time.. he said never again.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,438  
7) "As for an EV left unattended after charge complete, the site knows. Tesla bills $1/minute."
Ah-ha! Waiting for a charge you buy soda, coffee, etc.
Because you had a 15 minute wait you're now billed $15.

You apparently don’t want an honest discussion when you think you can twist things.

Tesla provides real-time status via the Tesla app so no one has any excuse for not knowing when their vehicle charge will complete, and when it completed.

As for idle fees if you really cared rather than fly off in feigned outrage, Supercharger Idle Fee

8) free charging stations disappear
Never really existed in the first place. All were toy 5-7kW J1772 self-aggrandizing EV “visionaries” fantasized “being on every street corner and public parking space” to support the lazy 80 mile EV city car.

Can still find them at Whole Foods. Charge for free while you shop! Add 10 miles in 40 minutes while spending 50% extra for groceries! Nothing says Virtue Signaling like charging an EV at Whole Foods! Impress Your Friends! Yet some wish to continue to delude themselves into pretending anyone reasonable claims this to be the solution to anything.

There are hotels offering J1772 charging to guests at no additional cost. Not really any different than Free Continental Breakfast, exercise room, and swimming pool.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,439  

There are hotels offering J1772 charging to guests at no additional cost. Not really any different than Free Continental Breakfast, exercise room, and swimming pool.
Can't remember where we were, maybe Missouri last year or two, or Galena, IL. Anyhow, we had a hotel that had two EV chargers free for customers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,440  
You have said many times your mind is closed and not open to reason. Again you demonstrate.

You enumerated exactly why an EV is not the Devil Incarnate you pretend. The EV trivially uses any source of electricity not just the train of coal the meme pretends.

And even if EVs could use nothing but coal, emissions for a Tesla Model 3 are comparable to a gasoline ICE at 40 MPG.