Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,351  
But then there's this;

They have 1.2 billion people and an expanding economy. Some of the new power plants are replacements for older, more polluting power.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,352  
He is correct about the extensive cost of a battery system. Let me give you some examples.

3.8 kWh Simplifi LFP (Lithium) battery will cost you around $2500. That is $658 per KW. Now you cant discharge these batteries fully and keep the life long…so lets go with a discharge of 80% max.

If you need to size a system to run your house at night or grid down with AC going you will also need to be sure the surge Amps of the battery series and the the inverters can support it. This is a fairly tall order, but we will skip it for now.

Lets just assume our friend needs a 30 KWH battery bank for his needs. At 80% DOD that would be 36kwh of actual batteries. 36 * 657 = $23,652…that doesnt include the inverters, generator, or installation. This size system would probably end up costing $45-50k in the end.

A powerwall is about $950 per kWh so its even more….still has to be installed.

While I do agree a backup power system is something we should all have, I understand why some choose not to do it.
It's simpler than that. A battery/inverter that would deliver a 17 kw starting surge for a heat pump would be way more expensive than one that would provide 36 kwh over 12 hours.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,353  
I never understood why people that think the oil companies are ripping them off don't just turn around and buy stock in the companies they think are doing it. Just about anyone can open a trading account and trades are very cheap. Chevron has doubled since Nov. 2020.
What a great idea! How much stock do I need to buy so the dividends cover $80/week in gasoline, and how much will it cost me?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,354  
Coal fired plants so long as they are equipped with electrostatic precipitation are as clean as any other fossil fuel.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,355  
What a great idea! How much stock do I need to buy so the dividends cover $80/week in gasoline, and how much will it cost me?
$10 k doubled in 19 months to profit 10k would pay your $80 per month for 10 years. Edit, Oops you said per week, divide by 4

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,356  
People already figured it out and the details have been posted many times. During the pandemic, there was low demand, so the price dropped. People saved tons of money during the pandemic. The economy started booming, there's record employment levels, salaries are increasing, companies can't find people fast enough and pay them high enough wages to keep them, people have money to spend, they're buying up everything as fast as it can be put on the shelves. Which reduces supply. Which increases price.

I eat lunch with several guys that constantly comment on the price of fuel that's "killing me". So I asked all of them if they've:
- modified their driving habits because of it? Nope.
- How many times did you go out to eat last week? A few.
- Did you get a raise this year? Yes, we all did.
- Have you lowered your 401K contributions? No.
- Do you use credit cards that you don't pay off monthly? No.
- Have you had to cut back on anything at all? Not really.
- Do you want government to regulate industry? No.

But you want government to do something about the price of fuel? Uh, errr.

Fuel, food, building materials, clothing, cars, you name it; as long as people keep buying things companies will keep raising prices to see how much blood they can squeeze from that turnip. It will only reverse course when people stop buying things and that hasn't happened yet.

And, even if that does happen, prices will never go back to what they were, because on average, people make more money now than they did before, so prices will only drop as low as the market conditions warrant.

Supply and demand tempered by disposable and discretionary income.
Price of gas was low before the pandemic.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,357  
Coal fired plants so long as they are equipped with electrostatic precipitation are as clean as any other fossil fuel.
It's like anything else. On plant side it's clean....... but what about the mining side????

Same thing with natural gas. Burns clean, but you gotta drill to get it.

How about lithium batteries for these EV's that they want to push on us.

Do they have any flipping clue to the amount of toxins involved with mining for those batteries?????

I'm willing to bet if you sent a few bus loads of those granola crunching hypocrites to a lithium mine and walked them through the leaching and other crap that's gets exposed they would be calling for the end of human existence

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,358  
It's like anything else. On plant side it's clean....... but what about the mining side????

Same thing with natural gas. Burns clean, but you gotta drill to get it.

How about lithium batteries for these EV's that they want to push on us.

Do they have any flipping clue to the amount of toxins involved with mining for those batteries?????

I'm willing to bet if you sent a few bus loads of those granola crunching hypocrites to a lithium mine and walked them through the leaching and other crap that's gets exposed they would be calling for the end of human existence
^^^dear Lord...the voice of reason^^^
All that I'm trying to do
People----THINK----REASON

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,360  
Darn Larry. I like some things you say, other's not so much