Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,292  
I'm wondering if we will see entrepreneurs step up to install charging stations (especially in lower population areas). Maybe an Uber type model which shows the closest private charging station. They could charge a non-refundable reservation fee, so there would be no waiting when you got there. It would be much like owning a car wash - pretty much a self serve money collector. I could see individuals doing this, but also businesses like U-Haul, Target, Auto Zone, etc. It could also be a franchised business model.

If you build it, they will come.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,294  
Demand remained the same...which is what the chart is relaying.
I don't see that. While the delivery fluctuates I see that gasoline deliveries has been lower. What I find interesting is the volume of diesel vs gasoline.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,295  
I'm wondering if we will see entrepreneurs step up to install charging stations (especially in lower population areas). Maybe an Uber type model which shows the closest private charging station. They could charge a non-refundable reservation fee, so there would be no waiting when you got there. It would be much like owning a car wash - pretty much a self serve money collector. I could see individuals doing this, but also businesses like U-Haul, Target, Auto Zone, etc. It could also be a franchised business model.

If you build it, they will come.

12 years ago I bought a 36 volt Ezgo golf cart with Regen to give Driver Ed classes for the kids so EV charging at home when we got the Leaf was already understood and we had single phase 240v/40 amp line to our Genset that's 6 foot from the Leaf. Our setup adds about 24 miles of range per hour drawing 26 amp rate. If we plug into the outlet used for charging a golf cart we had 6 miles of range per hour of charging.

I think most people that can figure out how to buy an EV can figure out how to get it charged in most all cases but this will be a non-issue before enough EVS get out there to make a difference.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,297  
269F9C3C-21F3-4B9F-B0FC-F52D699FF394.jpeg

The dark blue along the bottom is gasoline.
The numbers on the left are quantity delivered.
From 2010 on the left to past 2021 on the right, the dark blue number decreases from a peak of about 150 to a low of about 70.

Now look at the light blue along the top. That's diesel. It remains pretty constant in the same time span.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,298  
Hopefully and the most important part of this EV phenomenon will be choices. The USA can't be in the non-urinating section of the planet Earth swimming pool while China, India, etc. are not on board. The irony is the biggest Nobel prize winning authors, the green save the Earth proponents themselves create larger carbon footprints that the average person. Do as I say, not as I do.
One must consider ALL aspects of EV transition, how electricity is generated, how much pollution is created in manufacturing, batteries, etc.
So choices based on application and usage.
In two years we may have a new
administration which could reverse current policies and fuel prices may drop.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,299  
In fact most grid tied setups do not take the energy from the solar and directly pump it into the home (or EV, etc). They pump the energy into the grid, and you are pulling from the grid To charge.

Grid tied system inverters are most often tapped at the feed from utility meter to main house panel (or variant/main disconnect, etc…) OR grid tied inverters are backfed through a breaker at a panel. Regardless the power is available on the customer side of the meter.

If the PV system is producing 15KW and the household usage (including EV charging as applicable) is 15KW the meter will not move, all power generated will be consumed by the house.

If the PV system is producing 10KW and the household usage (including EV charging as applicable) is consuming 15KW the meter will spin forward the delta or 5KW.

If the PV system is producing 20KW and the household usage (including EV charging as applicable) is consuming 15KW the meter will spin in reverse the delta or 5KW.

The PV power doesn’t first go the the utility grid and then come back through the meter for consumption. The excess returns to grid, if you match the production there isn’t grid transfer, if you exceed production the grid contributes.

PV grid tied inverter directly pumps power into my home.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,300  
The sooner the world weans itself from fossil fuels imported from bad actors the better!