Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,281  
Natural gas 38%, coal 22%...coal is #2 way electricity is generated to produce power to charge EVs in the U.S.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,282  
Well, nephews Volt continues to impress.

He took a 94 mile trip and this was the computer info

about $1.40 in electricity In 87 octane@~$ 4.65 a gallon about $3.50 in gas
=$4.90 total

75 MPG e over lifetime average

Still can't believe GM killed the range extended Volt.

Same trip in our Grand Cherokee would have cost just shy of $30 Back when they bought it used from CarMax he thought they over paid for it.

I asked him if he still thought they overpaid and he just laughed.

GM could be selling a bunch of mid/full sized trucks like Ford is, had they just followed through on a Range extended truck based on an upsized Volt drivetrain .
Maybe GM will have some ready in a couple more years but all I could find were full electric, So maybe not.

GM did get the Volt right.

Attachments

• IMG_20220620_195906.jpg
    IMG_20220620_195906.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,283  
Natural gas 38%, coal 22%...coal is #2 way electricity is generated to produce power to charge EVs in the U.S.
And doesn't matter how it's generated, it can be used by an EV.

I wonder how much Natural gas, and or coal is used to make a gallon of gas?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,284  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,285  
PGE says 3% of power generated from coal with 31% Hydro...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,286  
Recently when I drove to Evansville Indiana to look at the 2014 Tesla Model S I had to stop and wait for a coal train before I could head back to Kentucky.

The Volt is an interesting option since they are not either gas or electric but can use both power plants at the same time like for taking off or in the mountains. Saturday I told my son is if some reason I came up on a Volt especially the one with the 53 mile battery priced right I would really consider buying one but that's not going to happen.

For people who drive a lot and need a another vehicle and can count the hybrid/EVe make a lot of sense in light of the fact that we do not have enough refineries to change the scarcity of gas and Diesel going forward.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,287  
In fact most grid tied setups do not take the energy from the solar and directly pump it into the home (or EV, etc). They pump the energy into the grid, and you are pulling from the grid To charge.

Not a fact.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#1,288  
Not a fact.

Can you link me a grid tied inverter or configuration that is in production that allows you to charge DC to DC directly from a solar array to a Level 2 or 3 EV charger? Maybe a real account/article of a home that you can cut grid power entirely and still charge your EV? Maybe independent of EV charging, just a home that you can cut grid power to have have it still run normally (with no battery backup) directly from solar?

This is the closest one I found when looking a few years ago. Get the Ultimate EV Charger for Your Home | SolarEdge US

Originally it was EV only, but they have since updated the model to use both solar and Grid. So I am not certain if it still has solar only capability.

For Off grid use, it is obviously able to charge directly from solar (I have been running things for years direct from Solar array to my DC/AC Inverter GS8048 Outback Radian to my home/shop). However I havent seen the same capabilities for grid tied systems. Happy to be educated with real information.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,289  
Last week I called our local power company about solar and they transferred me to a fellow who was knowledgeable about it. His own brother recently installed a solar system after lots of research. Of course the solar array outputs DC. This is fed to an inverter and then ties in to the power meter. During sunny days depending on his usage the surplus is fed into the grid. At night or cloudy days he's feeding off of the grid.
At the end of the month his statement reflects usage (11c/Kwh) vs his contribution back into the grid (3c/Kwh). So the by-back is at a discount rate and usage at retail.
He did not opt for battery back-up.
Bottom line is his brother went from $150-$200/month bill to about $0 since sometimes he pays a few bucks, others he has a surplus purchased at a discount.
The fellow I spoke with has no plans for going solar himself.