Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #51  
Look at it this way.

There wont be any changes for all our gas and diesel cars, trucks etc.
but
In the near future you wont be able to buy a new one.

Just like horses. You cant run them on the roads anymore but you can still keep what you have.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #52  
What is he cost of an average battery replacement, and what do they do to safely dispose the old battery packs ? Whose responsibility is it ? I think it should be the guys that produce them. I,ve seen prices of around 22 thousand dollars, and guys have crushed their cars instead of paying that, just for spite.
I might consider an EV, IF they gave a my lifetime free no hassle replacement warranty, until then, I,ll wait, and wait, and keep following along on the updates.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #53  
Just like horses. You cant run them on the roads anymore but you can still keep what you have.
Sure you can. Have you ever been around an Amish village? I also see a lot of riders on roadways, although they prefer to be on softer roads.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #54  
What is he cost of an average battery replacement, and what do they do to safely dispose the old battery packs ? Whose responsibility is it ? I think it should be the guys that produce them. I,ve seen prices of around 22 thousand dollars, and guys have crushed their cars instead of paying that, just for spite.
I might consider an EV, IF they gave a my lifetime free no hassle replacement warranty, until then, I,ll wait, and wait, and keep following along on the updates.
I'm not worried about battery packs. Unless they are making those vehicles out of nothing but stainless and plastic, I doubt that many up here will last long enough for the batteries to die. Rust tends to get them long before anything else fails.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #55  
Trouble is, it's looking like at some point we won't have a choice.
If you live where you don't take many long trips and have a convenient way to recharge an EV might make sense. But it doesn't for everyone.
EV's make absolutely no sense here where temps can get down in the -65F range for weeks/months at a time and towns are 100+ miles apart. We are also paying over 40 cents per KWH. Charging could get expensive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #56  
Not me. I need to get about 500 miles (hard miles up mountains, etc) on a tank otherwise I have to pay 25% more for fuel. I need 750 in an EV (because they overstate by probably 30% if you include highway speeds, AC/Heat). Also no freaking way I can stop and wait for an hour for the battery to charge…there are no charging stations to be found at 9000 ft….. No go. In fact most of my driving situations would not be good for current EVs. I need a EV equivalent of a F-250 diesel (torque and pulling capacity) that can go 400 miles on a charge towing max Allowed weight (just below CDL Limit). Once they get one I can charge in 10 min…I’m in.

However I am sure 95% of the population can use it.
Probably not that high a percentage. True, 90% of the US population lives in cities, and only a small portion or rural dwellers run 500 miles up mountains. Even so, urban life is crowded and unpleasant, with few facilities like garages and shops with 240v. outlets. 8.7% of US households don't have access to a vehicle, and the number is rising with rising car and fuel costs.

I see the working rural as a solid market for EVs. One or both rural partners has to drive into town 5 or 6 days a week, which is a substantial commuting expense. When my wife and I were both working, our total commute was normally 150 miles/day, plus incidental driving. Gas and oil changes ran over $500/month. If there had been an EV available with a driver's compartment that was not a torture chamber, we certainly would have looked hard at it. However, rural people are little more than a blip in the car market. The market for new vehicles is the upscale suburbanite.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #57  
The market for new vehicles is the upscale suburbanite.
And they will jump on board whatever the latest fad is... in this case EVs. That should eventually drive prices down, just as it did with hybrid vehicles 25 years ago.

The new Ford Maverick has been such a hit that they've stopped taking orders for them. I was considering one myself, so that I can save my Colorado for when I need 4WD.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #58  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
EV's make absolutely no sense here where temps can get down in the -65F range for weeks/months at a time and towns are 100+ miles apart. We are also paying over 40 cents per KWH. Charging could get expensive.
Wow 40 cents...we are at 9 cents here. Huge difference. Heck off grid makes a lot of sense for you then. A 24kw solar array with a battery + generator backup would probably pay for itself in 10 years.