Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,021  
Conversely, I’d like to see how it would do traveling 90 in Oklahoma’s 80 mph speed limit areas. Or even 80 in the 70 areas of many states.
The LEAF will behave exactly the same as an ICE: Much greater fuel consumption.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,022  
Pretty sure the leaf would be maxed out at 90 mph. Top Gear did a test chasing a Prius around the track with a BMW M3, guess who got better mileage.....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,023  
Pretty sure the leaf would be maxed out at 90 mph. Top Gear did a test chasing a Prius around the track with a BMW M3, guess who got better mileage.....
Yes, another example of nothing nobody didn't know in advance.

Any skinny tired car chasing a fat tired car at the skinny tire limits will get nearly zero MPG from spending all energy pushing tires sideways in a slide. The fat tires were cruising in comparison. Top Gear doesn't do these "tests" without knowing in advance what will happen.

Al Gore's son was famously ticketed at 100+ MPH in a Prius.

Top Gear also faked the Tesla battery dying on the track.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,024  
Conversely, I’d like to see how it would do traveling 90 in Oklahoma’s 80 mph speed limit areas. Or even 80 in the 70 areas of many states.
Less than running 45 MPH perhaps? :🤔

We had to clear the church of the stuff they packed in over the last several days plus I had a passenger so maybe 400 pounds more on the return leg.

Having recharged to 100% during the shower from the arrival 65% SOC I had zero range concerns about the 67 mile return so I drove posted speeds mostly 70 MPH.

The miles per kWh of battery usage dropped from 5.2 to 3. SOC when I got home this AM was at 35%.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,025  
Real world in the field reports are the best…

Appreciate the insight!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,026  
93 MPH per my test on a downhill run when I first got the Leaf. I expect the 150 mile range would be under 50 miles but top speed would be reduced to 30 MPH due to a red hot battery.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,027  
The LEAF will behave exactly the same as an ICE: Much greater fuel consumption.
I expect the specs of any Leaf motor produced is not much better than their prototypes of the late 90's.

Technically Tesla is the only real EV option in my current view.

For making two daily low speed 30 mile trips most any EV could be an option.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,029  
Looks like the old players are struggling to even be competitive in the EV space.
The Chinese have no longer use for the cooperation with western companies, they have learned what they need learn and now it's time to push out the foreign competition.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,030  
The Chinese have no longer use for the cooperation with western companies, they have learned what they need learn and now it's time to push out the foreign competition.
I can see that... my Chinese friend to paraphrase would say Western thinking is short range and Chinese is long range... more than willing along the way to accept compromise a long as it advances the end game...

Maybe the last 30 years is one of compromise?

On a separate note I can see where more countries... especially small countries could be looking to Nuclear future...

The Russia/China posture has reset the game going forward...