Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,901  
Last I check other states offered hydrogen fueling…

Not so sure fuel cell and hydrogen means hydrogen vehicle re-fueling

I clicked on some of the sites and none of them offered hydrogen vehicle refueling at their location. many are manufacturers trying to sell equipment.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,902  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,903  
Last I check other states offered hydrogen fueling…

Our local convenience store chain of fame is Wawa, and starting maybe 20 years ago, they started incorporating relatively large gas stations into their layouts. Yesterday I was filling up at one, and noticed two yellow pump handles on most of the pumps, where there used to be a green diesel handle. One was E85, and the other was Flexi Fuel. I guess I should have gotten a photo. I believe they've moved both regular diesel and biodiesel to select pump islands, away from the rest.

The cost of maintaining 7 different fuel blends has to be raising fuel prices, no matter how you slice it. Most semi tankers who deliver to gas stations can carry only up to 4 different fuels, so unless they're changing that, it means multiple different trucks pulling into these tight lots to replenish 7 different tanks.

Still haven't seen hydrogen fueling anywhere, but I'm probably just not paying enough attention, surely it's around.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,904  
Hydrogen is not very cheap and easy to handle, I'm afraid hydrogen is not a viable option with today's technology.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,905  
Maybe California Bay Area is the perfect spot for EVs and their cousins?

It has absolutely nothing to do with your state government cranking up your fuel taxes, so you pay high fuel costs, and mandating ICE machines be no longer sold there, starting with small machines, with near future dates for vehicles.
Yup, it’s the “perfect spot “.
Taking rose colored glasses off now….

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,906  
The last time I checked to outright purchase FSD which is $12,000 per car. I subscribe by the month so I'll pay Tesla $2,400 every year for access to FSD. This does not add cash value to my car but it adds value to the Tesla corporation because that is $2,400 per year at No new cost to them. So if I keep it 10 years that'll be $24,000 in their pocket without them doing any flipping thing except keeping the switch active.
FSD is a software license which may end when the car is sold.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,907  
I am judgmental so bear with me. Someone needs to depend on FSD to be able to function, be rich, or be stupid to piss away money like that. I understand you have issues that make FSD a good fit for you, but most people will never spend that.
I'll try it for $200 if I have a long road trip planned.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,908  
Hydrogen is not very cheap and easy to handle, I'm afraid hydrogen is not a viable option with today's technology.
In spite of hydrogen being a Government Darling for over 50 years, nothing has come of it. The physics and stars simply do not align no matter how much wishful thinking.

Requires a lot of energy to compress so as to be small and energy dense to be manageable.

Requires a lot of energy to split hydrogen from oxygen, more energy than one gets from putting the two together again. This can not be overcome, one can not get more energy out than one puts in.

The only economical source of hydrogen today is natural gas, and supposedly natural gas is one of the "problems" hydrogen is supposed to solve.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,909  
Check Kelly Blue Book, private sale. I used '23 Y good condition 18,000 miles, your zip code, long range all options. I don't know mileage but you could check Kelly.
So, I drove my 2023 Model Y LR new off the lot for $49k in December 2023 and if I manage to put 18,000 miles on it it is still worth $37k even factoring for the probable $7500 Federal Tax Credit I might receive but the buyer of a used car does not?

Looks to be holding it's value pretty good! No?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,910  
There are a lot of very cheap, very lightly used hydrogen cars in CA for sale. Sadly you can really only fuel them in two cities in America 😂