Basic Solar Installation

/ Basic Solar Installation #31  
LiFePO4 batteries are getting MUCH cheaper. Definetely the way to go now-a-days.

I have 400 watts of panels, 200aH of batteries, a solar charge controller and an inverter/charger for my container I have not used a lot. I am about to lend it all to a buddy that is living off grid right now. I look forward to digging it out and going through it again. It was not hard to set up a small 12v system for lights, charging devices, fans and even refrigeration (the 12v coolers are cheap and good).

/ Basic Solar Installation #32  
I was about to put in a roof mount solar array until I found out it would void the warranty on my newly installed 40 year shingles.

I see a lot of roof mount systems around here. I wonder if these homeowners don't know or don't care.
Who said that? The shingle manufacturer who doesn't honor the 25-50 yrs warranties anyways, or the installer who will maybe only honor workmanship for 1 yr, and that's a hard maybe?

No, installing panels on your roof doesn't 'void the warranty'. It's just that each part is covered separately now. The install by the installer, the shingles by the manufacturer (good luck), and the solar rack (and penetrations through the roof caused by mounting it) by the solar installer.

Also, having the panels covering your roof means the shingles beneath are protected from UV and heat and thus should last even longer than they normally would. In fact, the perfect time to install the panels is considered to be when you get a new roof.

/ Basic Solar Installation #33  
This is the roofing co not wanting to guarantee aganst leaks which is understandable if the rack mounts are not installed correctly.

However the total cost of the re-roofing and solar installation is allowable for the 30% tax credit - so if you spend 20K installing a new roof and 20K for solar you get a $12K tax credit.

/ Basic Solar Installation #34  
I will never spent $1,300+ for one battery, I use
deep cycle batteries L6 345 amp lasted over 15
years. Trogan battery. Soon will get 6 or 8 of the
12 volt batteries for 24 volt system
Also the $1,300+ batteries only have 100 amp so
you need 20 or 30 of them for a system

willy

/ Basic Solar Installation #35  
Who said that? The shingle manufacturer who doesn't honor the 25-50 yrs warranties anyways, or the installer who will maybe only honor workmanship for 1 yr, and that's a hard maybe?

No, installing panels on your roof doesn't 'void the warranty'. It's just that each part is covered separately now. The install by the installer, the shingles by the manufacturer (good luck), and the solar rack (and penetrations through the roof caused by mounting it) by the solar installer.

Also, having the panels covering your roof means the shingles beneath are protected from UV and heat and thus should last even longer than they normally would. In fact, the perfect time to install the panels is considered to be when you get a new roof.
What you say may well be true and I can't speak for others, but in my case, the roof was installed through, and warrantied by, Home Depot. The fine print specifically excludes roof mounted installations, including, but not limited to, solar arrays.

This didn't stop me from pursuing solar energy systems though. I have enough land to use ground mounted panels without spoiling any view. It's a slow process around here though, since most solar system companies in the area have moved on with the reduction in tax incentives.

/ Basic Solar Installation #36  

willy
100ah at 48vDC is 8 times the capacity of a 100ah 6vDC battery. So no you do not need 20 or 30 of them. Lead acid is a relic of the past when it comes to a modern PV setup. So long as you can protect LiFePO4 from cold they are so much superior to FLA it is not even close.

The price of many PV things is at an all time low.

/ Basic Solar Installation #37  
Several solar firms are also roofing companies and not unusual to combine both so new roof with new solar.

I've seen a few rooftop installs where logical panel placement interrupted by one or two roof vent penetrations.

I’m thinking why not just move the kitchen sink DWV pipe but none of the companies installing solar I have spoken with do.

My roof is clay tile mostly for max fire safety so I went with a 6kW ground mount of three arrays of twelve 160W panels and no longer have out of pocket electricity costs billed from the utility.

Last edited:
   / Basic Solar Installation #38  

willy
I am with you. I have a Small System at the Cabin, basically for 12/24v Solar Fridge, and Tunes. The Fridge is the key part of Tiny vs Mid Size System. But Propane Fridges are not only pricey but dangerous and well more efficient than the Old, not nearly as dependable.

6, 230aH 6V Golf Cart Batteries, 550w Array is all that I need. Topped Off 2-3 hours at night by a 1500w Generator when we are there listening to tunes during the day, and watching Movies at night on the Gen.

I have 5 years on the 690 aH@12V Golf Cart Batteries, and $1000 Invested in the 6 of them. LiPo are Nice, but way over priced for what you get in return.

/ Basic Solar Installation #39  
Several solar firms are also roofing companies and not unusual to combine both so new roof with new solar.

I've seen a few rooftop installs where logical panel placement interrupted by one or two roof vent penetrations.

I’m thinking why not just move the kitchen sink DWV pipe but none of the companies installing solar I have spoken with do.

My roof is clay tile mostly for max fire safety so I went with a 6kW ground mount of three arrays of twelve 160W panels and no longer have out of pocket electricity costs billed from the utility.
FWIW: While it wasn't the case previously, there are now low profile vents that are permitted under solar panels.

All the best,

Peter

/ Basic Solar Installation #40  
A question for those with roof mount panels in northern climates: How do you keep the panels clear of snow?

A neighbor mounted his on the ground for that reason. He uses a rubber "squeegee" on a long aluminum pole for light snowfalls but just gives up when we get a foot or more.

Some winters, his panels stay snow covered for a month or more.