Basic Solar Installation

/ Basic Solar Installation #11  
13kw generator seems like massive over kill. Get a 5kw & a small propane generator, 2000 watts maybe. Use the larger generator when needed for well pump etc. Use the small generator as necessary to keep the refrigerator and or freezer cold. Install a wood stove for winter heat. Get a good supply of firewood. IMHO, solar in your area will not yield much benefit in winter for the cost.

/ Basic Solar Installation #12  
I agree that the 13 KW generator seems to be overkill, but it's a bought item. Can you get a conversion to allow it run on gasoline also?
And then get your 5KW generator on dual fuel to use when you don't need the 13 KW.
As far as solar there are a lot of factors to consider and fortunately I'm on TVA power, ~ $0.11/Kwh, so I've basically ignored recent developments.

/ Basic Solar Installation
I apologize for not posting very well

i am looking for a solution to provide basic power without relying on propane, gasoline or diesel fuels.

Assume power grid goes down for 4 months and fuel is not available.

I am able to heat with wood and have a well for water.

/ Basic Solar Installation #14  
I got you covered.

24x 250w panels are about $2000. They're on fb marketplace all over, retired after 3-5 years, and have a 25 year life.

2x growatt 3k inverters for split phase is $1200, gives you 220v for well pump. You could get a 3rd and have 6k on one leg and 3k on another.

DIY lifepo4 battery with 15kwh is ~2k. Adding another battery is cake, just hook it up to the bus bar. 4 sets of 4 for 16 cells, plus bms, is good for 7000 cycles from 100 down to 20 up to 100 again.

This is a DIY solution that I'm currently deploying. The inverters have SUB mode, or solar-utility-battery, or SBU mode is solar-battery-utility. You have it hooked to the utility, and it draws when solar isn't enough.

This is my dirt cheap, have power for 20 years with no grid. Not a ton of power, but it's scalar, you can build it out later if you want to have a full on off grid setup.

Last edited:
   / Basic Solar Installation #15  
Also, with my setup, you can use the grid as well. You can get a separate breaker box and wire it up with the inverters and put breakers on them that you know don't draw a lot of power. it will always draw from the inverters. The inverters can pull from solar, battery, or grid depending on which configuration you choose. You can put it in place, start using it now, and cut down on your electric bill.

/ Basic Solar Installation #16  
I was using 9 250 watt panels feeding 4 L6 Trojan
batteries 345 amp lasted approx 15 or 16 years
run two electric oil filled heaters some lights and a small induction plate summer ran 2 window a/c units, some lights and the induction unit. They died last week need to replace them. The batteries were 6 volt had to hook them up for 24 volt. New batteries will be eithere 12 or 24 volt deep cycle. I set the voltage at 23 volts that's why they last so long. Will be moving the solar panels as will have 12 250 watt panels for the next setup. I can't see paying over $1300 for a battery times
20 for a system $26,000?????? I spend less than $1K
for batteries. Going get set up for off grid have a 5.5K
Yanmar diesel generator and a 1K genertor that we used the 1K for camping. Was told the unit to hook up for solar and grid was approz $4K will spend the $4K for batteries instead. For winter will use wood heat.
It costs more for installation than the equipment

willy

/ Basic Solar Installation #17  
Heating water takes a lot of energy, and when we think of 'solar' I tend to think of converting sun to electric. But I did think of sun to heat [water] by putting a length of rain gutter facing the sun, covering with something reflective, silver paint or glue aluminium foil to it then run a copper pipe along the focal point. A tank full of hot water might be like a short life battery.

/ Basic Solar Installation #18  
We just got a quote for an 8,000 KW 20 panel ground mounted system for our shop. Total cost was $26,200. That did not include any batteries for storage. It would generate about 1,000 kWh per month.

/ Basic Solar Installation #19  
If the power grid was down for months, how will you cope?

Not intended as argumentative but to explore options I have not considered.
Just fine actually, I know exactly what my gallons used is and fill accordingly and remember, not only do I have a Generac propane fired whole house generator, I have the Generac diesel fired one out by the shop as well. if the grid was down for months, you won't be going anywhere, anyway simply because you won't be filling your vehicles with gas or diesel as there won't be any filling stations open. Remember, they use electricity to operate their dispensing pumps. No grocery stores either, in fact nothing will be open and operating. You might have solar electricity but you will be staring at the walls mostly, because nothing outside your immediate dwelling, will be operable.

I'd never spend 35 grand on that, never.

Far as heat here is concerned, we have been using bio-mass heat as a supplement for years now and it can also provide base line heat if necessary and the electrical demands of a bio-mass heating appliance are minimal at best. Each of mine draws around 175 watts at full bore or about 85K Btu output per hour. That is well within the parameters of a modest solar system and not a 35K system.

really not something I'm at all concerned about anyway. if it comes to that scenario, civil strife will come way before that. You need to be more worried about perps that juice anyway.

/ Basic Solar Installation #20  
We just got a quote for an 8,000 KW 20 panel ground mounted system for our shop. Total cost was $26,200. That did not include any batteries for storage. It would generate about 1,000 kWh per month.
With a life expectancy of 25 years and then those panels become hazardous waste and must be disposed of in an approved landfill, at your expense of course. I have no desire to look out my window and see black solar panels blocking my view of the ag landscape around us.... and of course where the raw materials come from for those panels and where they are made as well (for the most part). Not for me, maybe for thee however.