Basic Solar Installation

/ Basic Solar Installation #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I would like to hear thoughts on a "survival" mode solar set up. The only heavy draw we have is a 3/4HP well pump (6.8 A @ 230V). Our old 5000kW generator handled it fine so that should be all the power we need.

Typical usage is .7kWhr at night and .9kWhr during the day. 500-600 kWhr per month.

We can deal with managing power in the house during an event so do not need a whole house solution.

Battery backup would be nice but not essential. We can make do without power at night if need be.

We currently have a 13kW propane whole house generator but it is expensive to operate and in a SHTF event getting propane could be iffy.

What would folks suggest for a basic system to keep us alive and reasonably comfortable.

The plan would be to use the solar system most of the time during the day. At night we use very little power so we could switch to the grid or have a small battery bank.

I would also want to charge an EV during an emergency, but would be OK with a Level 1 charger if need be.

/ Basic Solar Installation #2  
Battery backup, is a requirement not optional, solar doesn't run if it doesn't have either a battery or grid tie in,

i think your a bit disoluntioned on the size of the solar you need and the battery bank as well, starting large motors and charging ev's takes a ton more power then i think you are aware of.

/ Basic Solar Installation #3  
You can purchase DC well pumps. It might be worth looking into.

/ Basic Solar Installation #4  
Look at off grid systems - you will need about a 5-7 KW solar array and 14-20 KW backup battery system - probably better part of $35K unless you install yourself. You need to factor in the winter a 6-7KW array will generate 300KWH per month Dec/January in Michigan.

Best case a grid tie array has an ROI of- 8-9 years with $.20KWH electric rate for a grid tie system. Adding batteries to this for $10-12K makes a very long ROI.

/ Basic Solar Installation #5  
I would like to hear thoughts on a "survival" mode solar set up. The only heavy draw we have is a 3/4HP well pump (6.8 A @ 230V). Our old 5000kW generator handled it fine so that should be all the power we need.

Typical usage is .7kWhr at night and .9kWhr during the day. 500-600 kWhr per month.

We can deal with managing power in the house during an event so do not need a whole house solution.

Battery backup would be nice but not essential. We can make do without power at night if need be.

We currently have a 13kW propane whole house generator but it is expensive to operate and in a SHTF event getting propane could be iffy.

What would folks suggest for a basic system to keep us alive and reasonably comfortable.

The plan would be to use the solar system most of the time during the day. At night we use very little power so we could switch to the grid or have a small battery bank.

I would also want to charge an EV during an emergency, but would be OK with a Level 1 charger if need be.
Is propane iffy because of poor access to your home? Or few area supliers?
Could you get another tank buried & filled as a larger supply?

I’m all for solar for homes, but my guess is larger propane storage and keeping it topped off might be cheaper.

/ Basic Solar Installation

I’m all for solar for homes, but my guess is larger propane storage and keeping it topped off might be cheaper.
I have two 500 gallon tanks.

My concerns are:

Cost to operate during a long power outage

Having power if there is an attack on the power grid.

The goal is to be a bit more self sufficient

/ Basic Solar Installation #7  
I have two 500 gallon tanks.

My concerns are:

Cost to operate during a long power outage

Having power if there is an attack on the power grid.

The goal is to be a bit more self sufficient

I figured stored propane was self sufficient.
In my area, the grid will be attacked. It’s more likely a truck can bring us propane versus the power company coming back on line.

Your area and situation is probably different.

/ Basic Solar Installation #8  

Exactly what I do. I own 3 500 gallon bottles and filling them isn't bad and 3 will last me all winter and some of the spring as well. No way would I even think about investing in a 35K solar setup. That is one helluva lot of propane.

/ Basic Solar Installation
Exactly what I do. I own 3 500 gallon bottles and filling them isn't bad and 3 will last me all winter and some of the spring as well. No way would I even think about investing in a 35K solar setup. That is one helluva lot of propane.
If the power grid was down for months, how will you cope?

Not intended as argumentative but to explore options I have not considered.

/ Basic Solar Installation #10  
It can be done. An Off grid AIO (all in one) with GAB (grid as backup) would handle things. It is what I have and with some minor exceptions my place does not require grid power. A good place to start your solar journey is over on the DIY Solar forum website.