Basic Red Chili

/ Basic Red Chili #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I make 6-8 different kinds of chili depending on what I feel like, and who will be at the table.

But on my own I usually do this basic chili. Two ingredients, chiles and ground beef. Or three if you count salt. Actual time spent making it, under 5 min.

1. Take a bunch of dried chiles and soak in water for several hours. Get rid of stems and seeds so you get flavor not heat. The flavor ranges widely depending on what chiles you use.

2. Puree the rehydrated chiles.

3. Brown the ground beef and add the pureed chiles and some water and salt.

4. Simmer for a while.

This is about as simple as it gets but very flavorful.

Attachments

• red1.jpg
    red1.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 260
  • red2.jpg
    red2.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 284
  • red3.jpg
    red3.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 253
   / Basic Red Chili #2  
We have a similarrecipe for chilli con carne, cubed beef and add onion and tomato to the chilli, brown the beef, add the pureed sauce and simmer for about two hours, we push the sauce through a sieve too to make it really smooth.
Finding dry chillis here is a problem, I can get them but it is a long drive, we use ancho or negro and a 120km drive.

/ Basic Red Chili #3  
Pat, instead of discarding them, mail your chili seeds to bunyip.

John

/ Basic Red Chili
We have a similarrecipe for chilli con carne, cubed beef and add onion and tomato to the chilli, brown the beef, add the pureed sauce and simmer for about two hours, we push the sauce through a sieve too to make it really smooth.
Finding dry chillis here is a problem, I can get them but it is a long drive, we use ancho or negro and a 120km drive.

When we lived in rural Virginia it was a 85 mi drive to Fredericksburg for dried chiles. I usually ordered from Penzeys instead. They do international but shipping and customs probably make it a nonstarter. Ancho and negro are great for chili!

/ Basic Red Chili #6  
Piqued my interest and found a local source of seeds, may have a go at growing some (Poblano), never dried chilli but imagine it would be much the same as tomato which we do every year, either the drier or a wire rack outside.
Never seen a photon, are they related to klingons and will they steal the fruits of my labours?

/ Basic Red Chili #7