Baseball cards?

/ Baseball cards? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
We have a dumpster site about 3 miles away. Yesterday we drop off trash and there's lady who works there at one dumpster next to an large antique trunk.
She said a guy just left it...his Dad passed away and he was throwing stuff away. She offered to help guy toss it in, very heavy, she said what's in it? So they set it outside dumpster. It was full and I mean filled with baseball cards.
I know almost nothing about them except I do have ones 50s-60s I saved as a kid.
These were organized, most in clear covers. Lady said take them home. Since we were in wife's Mustang and hurry to get somewhere I just grabbed 4 at random.
The lady called some collector she knew. I wished I had camera to photo collection. They got older towards bottom.
Lady said that stuff goes on all the time. 20190910_173318.jpg20190910_173335.jpg

/ Baseball cards? #2  
What a clueless son. Wow

/ Baseball cards? #4  
We have a dumpster site about 3 miles away. Yesterday we drop off trash and there's lady who works there at one dumpster next to an large antique trunk.
She said a guy just left it...his Dad passed away and he was throwing stuff away. She offered to help guy toss it in, very heavy, she said what's in it? So they set it outside dumpster. It was full and I mean filled with baseball cards.
I know almost nothing about them except I do have ones 50s-60s I saved as a kid.
These were organized, most in clear covers. Lady said take them home. Since we were in wife's Mustang and hurry to get somewhere I just grabbed 4 at random.
The lady called some collector she knew. I wished I had camera to photo collection. They got older towards bottom.
Lady said that stuff goes on all the time.View attachment 620770View attachment 620771
Sad... his dad didn't deserve that.

/ Baseball cards? #5  
Sad... his dad didn't deserve that.

Yes, however, dad is gone and that's the reality of that. Dad won't know he got rid of them, because he's dead. ;) If they meant something to dad, he should have conveyed his wishes to his heirs. Even after that, it's still up to them, not him. Maybe he spent more time with the cards than the kid. We'll never know the circumstances. You can't (or shouldn't try to) control your kids from the grave. It'll just make them resent you more. So yes, it's a waste. I'd like to go through them. But we'll never know the circumstances.

My wife has already told me that if and when I croak, she's ditching my prized stuff if I don't do something with it when I'm alive. So it's up to me to use it, sell it, catalogue it, store it for my kids with instructions on who gets what, etc.... because there's too much for her to deal with other than a dozen 20 yard dumpsters. I agree with her. I've got too much stuff.

We were fortunate when my dad died that he had most of his possessions and collections categorized, appraised, etc... yet it took half a dozen guys from his local rock club several months of one night a week sessions to sort out, catalog, and divide his fossil collection into three identical sets; one for the club, one for the state museum, and one for his heirs. Stuff adds up over a lifetime. :confused3:

/ Baseball cards? #6  
Yes, however, dad is gone and that's the reality of that. Dad won't know he got rid of them, because he's dead. ;) If they meant something to dad, he should have conveyed his wishes to his heirs. Even after that, it's still up to them, not him. Maybe he spent more time with the cards than the kid. We'll never know the circumstances. You can't (or shouldn't try to) control your kids from the grave. It'll just make them resent you more. So yes, it's a waste. I'd like to go through them. But we'll never know the circumstances.

My wife has already told me that if and when I croak, she's ditching my prized stuff if I don't do something with it when I'm alive. So it's up to me to use it, sell it, catalogue it, store it for my kids with instructions on who gets what, etc.... because there's too much for her to deal with other than a dozen 20 yard dumpsters. I agree with her. I've got too much stuff.

We were fortunate when my dad died that he had most of his possessions and collections categorized, appraised, etc... yet it took half a dozen guys from his local rock club several months of one night a week sessions to sort out, catalog, and divide his fossil collection into three identical sets; one for the club, one for the state museum, and one for his heirs. Stuff adds up over a lifetime. :confused3:
I hear you but...

I inherited my dad's stamp collection. I have not kept it up but it has connections going back way before his immigration just after WWII from Norway. Lots of history learned studying stamps. Having a bunch of 150 - 200+ year old tiny pieces of 'unused' paper collected and displayed (if someone wants to see) can be quite stimulating when it comes to history. A bit of a responsibility as well. Baseball cards/football cards... I have all of them from my childhood collecting minus the crappy bubble gum... maybe not such a collection/collection, but similar in a way.

Yeah as executor to my parent's estate, I needed to value his collection. As such my sister got their nice new car and things, and other sister got the parent's cabin where we grew up in the summers as kids. I got the stamps. Stupid... maybe, but memories and connections endure.

It's not about worth of the collection as it is preserving and passing along something that meant something. My kids might not 'get' it. But I have hope that my son will see a legacy and keep something in the family past his own life. Treasures are born very slowly and over several or more lifetimes. Liquidation kills that and it cannot be bought and recreated.

I spent my youth learning about philately. I could go on here... definitely should not to be considered an investment but definitely it is a part of my family's heritage.

/ Baseball cards?
My parents collected antiques. Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest is not far from here. Years ago the property owner was throwing stuff away and parents ended up with lots of things that meant nothing to me, spinning wheel, furniture, etc. They donated it back to the now museum which was fantastic, they got a tax deduction and museum got lots of things back.
The older I get I'd rather see someone get something they appreciate.

/ Baseball cards? #8  
I hear you but...

I inherited my dad's stamp collection. I have not kept it up but it has connections going back way before his immigration just after WWII from Norway. Lots of history learned studying stamps. Having a bunch of 150 - 200+ year old tiny pieces of 'unused' paper collected and displayed (if someone wants to see) can be quite stimulating when it comes to history. A bit of a responsibility as well. Baseball cards/football cards... I have all of them from my childhood collecting minus the crappy bubble gum... maybe not such a collection/collection, but similar in a way.

Yeah as executor to my parent's estate, I needed to value his collection. As such my sister got their nice new car and things, and other sister got the parent's cabin where we grew up in the summers as kids. I got the stamps. Stupid... maybe, but memories and connections endure.

It's not about worth of the collection as it is preserving and passing along something that meant something. My kids might not 'get' it. But I have hope that my son will see a legacy and keep something in the family past his own life. Treasures are born very slowly and over several or more lifetimes. Liquidation kills that and it cannot be bought and recreated.

I spent my youth learning about philately. I could go on here... definitely should not to be considered an investment but definitely it is a part of my family's heritage.

Besides fossils and minerals, my dad had dozens of binders of stamps. One of my siblings has them. All catalogued.

I heard it said once, if you have more than 3 of something, it's a collection. If you have more than 3 collections, it's a museum.... my dad definitely had a few museums' worth of collections. :laughing:

/ Baseball cards? #9  
Those look like modern reprints, not really worth much. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a market for baseball/football cards anymore. Only, the big name players and rare cards seem to have any monetary value especially if they are highly rated.

/ Baseball cards? #10  
In protectors like that, id guess originals.

Just a complete year set of cards sells for hundreds. I had a roommate that dealt in baseball cards years ago.