Barn Wiring Question

/ Barn Wiring Question #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I'm building a new 30x40 pole barn on the site of my old 1800's barn.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/426549-new-pole-barn-started.html

The barn is going to be divided into 2 spaces - 28x30 with 6 stalls for animals (3 on each side with an aisle in the middle) and 12x30 tractor storage / shop.

Barn Floor Plan.jpg

The old barn had 2 electric lines going out to it. One is a 220 volt line connected to a 30 amp breaker and the other is 110 connected to a 20 amp breaker and that line is connected to a light switch in the house. My plan is to use the 110 line on the switch for all of the exterior lights, so I can turn them on and off from the house. I am planning on splitting the 220 line to two 110's. One 110 will be for all the plugs in the barn and the other will be for all the interior lights which are 8 60 watt LED shop lights.

All of the wiring in the barn will be in plastic 3/4" conduit to keep it neat and keep it away from the animals and other critters. I am also installing a new 1" conduit under the concrete floor for future expansion of a new 50 amp 220 line for a welder, car lift or electric heater etc. Will install that extra circuit down the road when we run water from the house to the barn, a distance of 150 ft.

My question is what is the proper way to split the 220 to two 110's. Can I do it in a junction box or a sub-panel? Are sub-panels allowed by code? An acquaintance who is an electrician mentioned to me sub-panels are not allowed in my situation.

I will run whatever electrical plan I decide on by the town building inspector to get his approval before proceeding, but I want to have a good idea of what I am proposing to the inspector.

/ Barn Wiring Question #2  
Does the 240 feed have a neutral or is it just a 2 wire feed with a ground?

/ Barn Wiring Question #3  
I assume if it's a 30 amp feed it's on #10 AWG wire?

/ Barn Wiring Question #4  
You might have a problem grounding your split.

And, my two cents here. I built a new barn many years ago for livestock, hay and grain. some tools and harness. I purposely did not run 240 out there. I don't believe a welder belongs in a livestock barn. I am lucky enough to have a workshop with a slab and ventilation.

/ Barn Wiring Question #5  
If you plan to do all the wiring yourself,it will be money well spent paying an electrician 1 hour to see present wiring and tell you what options you have. If you don't want to do that,you must describe present circuits in detail before anyone can tell you anything and you are still taking a gamble of mis-comunications.

/ Barn Wiring Question #6  
I wouldn't want my tractor in the barn either. Fire, soot, mice & chipmunks chewing on lines, gasoline & diesel storage and wires. Lawn mowers, either. Keep them elesewhere. Tarp or hoop house if nothing else.

/ Barn Wiring Question #7  
You have not touched on grounding for your project. If you're unsure how that will be achieved having an actual electrician look the job over is a wise investment.

/ Barn Wiring Question #8  
I will answer your question but there are other questions to be answered. Yes replace the 220v breaker with 2 single 20 amp breakers. You can share the ground but not the neutrals

/ Barn Wiring Question #9  
Not enough info to do anything but speculate at this point.