Bare spots/get grass to grow?

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
After 40 years there are still places in yard I can't get grass to grow. I've had soil tested and they say it's great...a little high in nitrogen.
Areas are beneath an old Magnolia tree, a large Holly and an apple tree. Mackintosh apple, but other mackintosh grass is fine?!?
One spot under a maple tree.
I tried lime (powder & pellet), I tried composted soil (old cow & horse manure, even Miracle Grow). Variety of grasses, they come up then die off even watered properly.
My thought is some plants do something (leaves or roots) to kill off anything trying to grow there.
I'd like to have grass, but maybe the only solution is to mulch those areas?
Thanks any ideas!View attachment 670424 20200921_125205.jpgView attachment 670426View attachment 67042720200921_125300.jpg

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #2  
Maybe to much shade for grass that is not shade tolerant.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #3  
I have places in my back yard like that. I have added soil and tried several different types of seed and nothing will grow in those spots. I've given up.

Wife bought some of that cheap bird seed the other day that is 90% millet so I threw that out there.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #4  
I think its the amount of shade thats the problem---we have a couple of places like that too! ----weeds dont even grow there!

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #5  
It's a losing battle trying to grow grass beneath shollow rooted tress,compatition for moisture and neutrents are just too great. If you add nutrents and moisture that only brings roots closer to the surface. Adapted understory plants,mulch or rock garden might be the answer.
One more reason for planting Live Oak,grass does fine beneath them.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow?
I know. I just like the variety of trees and shrubs. I'll just mulch around them, forget the grass.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #8  
I know. I just like the variety of trees and shrubs. I'll just mulch around them, forget the grass.

If you injoy plants more than material (who doesn't) and don't mind extra work required for maintenance,look in nearby forest for native understory shrubs and vines you like the looks of. Tie ribbons to those you like and return during winter to transplant them. Providing you get permission first.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #9  
Try tall fescue. You could get a 50 lbs bag at TSC for like $55. I've used a few bags of this stuff, works great. Most lawns here in IL are KY bluegrass. Tall fescue is not an exact match (especially when the grass turf is young), but good enough for my purposes. The big difference between the fescue and bluegrass, bluegrass repairs itself, whereas the fescue you gotta throw more seed in it to fill in spots, but no biggie.

TSC has both coated and uncoated seeds, the uncoated costs more. I used both types, had good results with both.

/ Bare spots/get grass to grow? #10  
Fine fescue is best for shaded areas. Best is to put down seed and a little bit of compost over the seed and keep watered.

Ralph