#$%@&*! Barbed Wire

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
Okay, the only purpose of this post is to vent! Bush-hogging on the back nine yesterday and ran over a two foot piece of ancient barbed wire. Now my baby is sleeping outside (lions and tigers and bears, oh my!) with a rear tire flat as a pancake. All of my precious and expensive fluid laying in a puddle. I've never lost a rear tire before and I now realize what a complicated, painful and expensive problem it presents. I can't even get a truck down there safely. This is going to be fun.

18-82971-tbnsig.gif

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #2  
It sounds like you're too late... but next time with a puncture on a "filled tire"... leave the tire hole in the "up" position so it won't drain out...

Now depending whether you have a tube or not...

If NO TUBE...Great, just plug the tire in the field and pump it back up with a cheapy 12vdc $8. air compressor and you're on your way...

If you have a tube {filled...probably, but maybe not}, I'd still try a tire plug... fill it and try to cripple it home...

How thin are those tires?... barbed wire usually justs cuts the tire...normally not puncture... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire
Thanks for the tips, John. Unfortunately the tire does have a tube in it. I found someone with a portable compressor and got it filled up enough to limp it home. The tires are stock Kubota...what I have is a tiny pinhole in the sidewall which evidently made it to the tube. What made it worse is that the air and fluid got between the tube and the inside of the tire...most everything leaked out around the valve stem and not the tiny pinhole. With the help of my neighbors I could probably save some money and take it in, but I'm just going to have someone come out and do it here. At least now they can get to it! Thanks again.

18-82971-tbnsig.gif

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #4  
Tony,
We hear you and understsand...kinda like when mowing a field hitting something real solid...ouch.../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
Kinda strange in a way..its not so much of the cost that bothers,its the down time of the equipment. [sad]

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire
Yep...you got it. I had planned on a lot of seat time this weekend but no luck. I just had them come out and repair the tire...$95.00, so the cost is pretty painful too! Thanks for the support.

18-82971-tbnsig.gif

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #6  
Prices must be a little higher in your area than mine; it only costs my neighbor $75 each time./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And that's why I have to do my own./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #7  
hey bird do you install calcium in them yourself also? and if so how. i am gona be in the market for a couple new tires in the future and trying to find the best and cheapest way to do it. thanks

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #8  
bky, I don't even know where you could get any calcium in my part of the country. I've even had neighbors tell me they thought it was illegal to put in tractor tires in Texas. The neighbor I mentioned had calcium in the tires on his Oliver because it was about 25 years old when he bought it, it came from Minnesota, and he didn't know it had loaded tires until he had the first flat. He has since had to replace both rusted out rear wheels and doesn't have the tires loaded anymore. I have water and antifreeze in my tires and installed it with my own homemade gadget shown in the attached photo (some tractor stores sell similar ones).

BirdSig.jpg

Attachments

• 6-87398-P7160028.JPG
    6-87398-P7160028.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 91
   / #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #9  
Some people around here tube their tires, then fill them with windsheild washer fluid, which can be bought in 55gal drums. Has anyone tried that?

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ #$%@&*! Barbed Wire #10  
Currently, I am looking for a source locally to buy the 55 gallon drums. I need 3 drums... and considering without tubes...

I have/had Calcium Chloride in a number of other tractors... I've never had any problem as other people have stated, but I think the time has come to advance...

At this time, the windshield washer fluid appears to be the most economical and cleanest way to go... the only thing I'm concerned with now is the longevity of it chemically... will it end up losing/diminish it's "anti-freeze" properties 5-7-10 years down the road...?
{I know Cal Chloride doesn't...}

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG