Banking… how things have changed

/ Banking… how things have changed #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
The pandemic certainly curtailed banking with many local branches closed over a year and by appointment when reopened until fairly recently.

Banks are again open but making cash and/or “Large” deposit is not business as usual and now cause for extra scrutiny and holds up to 15 days… crazy when computers are able speed operations in the blink of an eye.

I still run my small property management company of 40 years and rent is typically paid by check or electronic transfer… or cash if rent in arrears or past check with issues

By law up to 3 years unpaid pandemic rent cannot be reason for eviction.

I have been doing business for over 50 years with Bank of America and US Bank… never a bounced check drawn on any of my accounts ever.

One of my very behind tenants sold his car and gave me $3,000 in cash on 14k back rent he owes.

Went to deposit at my branch and it took the branch manager approval to accept the cash deposit to my Property Management Business Account with the reason being a crackdown on cash deposits…???

“Cash is King” seems to no longer be the case…

The Bank also gave me a printed notice that a Account Hold may be placed on accounts where total deposited checks total more than $5,525 in a day…

On a related note I deposited my personal check of $2500 to a family joint account to cover up coming estate incidental expenses without issue and later that day received this email stating:

$2,500.00
Hold reason:A 15 day hold was placed on your check(s) because check specific information indicates item may be returned

Interesting times we live and nothing gets easier when running a business…

Last edited:
   / Banking… how things have changed #2  
Cash is going away. Sooner than you think.
Merely depositing or withdrawing large sums of cash can have you labeled as a potential criminal.

It ain't your fathers USA anymore. Freedom is vanishing quickly

/ Banking… how things have changed
I guess I never thought 3k was a particularly large amount especially with inflation.

/ Banking… how things have changed #4  
I guess I never thought 3k was a particularly large amount especially with inflation.
It’s not.
FYI my bank does it for as little as $700.

/ Banking… how things have changed #5  
I hear you. I got tired of having holds put on checks between our accounts by BOA. We use the small local bank to handle the farm accounts, but they don't have a lot of extra services. BOA and Merril Lynch have our personal checking and retirement accounts, but the nearest branches are 40 miles away. Not a problem as most transactions can be done online or with mobile banking. I set up my BOA account to be able to move money between the 2 banks instead of writing and depositing a check. All fees are waived due to our relationship with BOA.

The Bank of America Account was opened in 1948 and until recently the checks/statements said customer since 1948

I asked why it no longer says this and told we don’t do that anymore…

It really did mean something at one time and tellers would waive fees referencing 1948.

Maybe that is why it’s gone?

Just opening a new account seems like applying for a loan… place of employment, annual income, job title, how long with current employer, travel outside the US… IRS status… marital status… etc. plus require a cell phone or email to accept messages… and no I don’t do online because no reliable Internet at my home.

With all they require they still twice lost the copies of the family Trust… it just instills confidence.

Too bad my Credit Union can’t open a business account because I would be gone in an instant.

/ Banking… how things have changed #7  
I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do business with B of A.

I hear you. I got tired of having holds put on checks between our accounts by BOA. We use the small local bank to handle the farm accounts, but they don't have a lot of extra services. BOA and Merril Lynch have our personal checking and retirement accounts, but the nearest branches are 40 miles away. Not a problem as most transactions can be done online or with mobile banking. I set up my BOA account to be able to move money between the 2 banks instead of writing and depositing a check. All fees are waived due to our relationship with BOA.
When I was in WA I had a rent check I picked up heading to WA so I deposited it in WA…

The teller said my
Manager would like to speak with you… I’m thinking now what?

Manager did a sales pitch to move my accounts to his branch in Olympia and offered “Personal Banking Service”

Thanked him for the offer but said I’m only here for the week… he thought for sure I was another Californian relocating!

Back in 1948… Dad was in the Navy and Bank of America was everywhere he was stationed.

When he opened his business Bank of America offered dads customers auto loans and it was a very good relationship for decades…

Today it’s just a legacy that allows me to do family banking which doesn’t amount to much anymore.

/ Banking… how things have changed #10  
I don't have to worry about them going under or being bought out any time soon.