Bandsaw swivel head

/ Bandsaw swivel head #11  
Well, yeah,thats true. But even used machines in that class were going for 4 grand and up, and thats before rebuilding the wear items. These are generally run ragged before they sell them. For that kind of money, you really need run alot of steel thru them to make'em pay for themselves.
Doug

/ Bandsaw swivel head
hfd376, I'll be making gizmos such as a people lifter a la Spencer. My current project is http://www.treeterminator.com/terminator2.htm
I would like to be able to cut 45 or even 60 degree angles up to 6" wide stock but 90+% would be 2-3 inch wide stock. Also the piece may be short so there is not much to put in a vise. Little triangles for gussets can be tricky. The Grizzely unit in the origenal post is the one and only I have found in that price range. I suspect it's a Taiwan or, worse China, knock off but I'm not doing production runs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bandsaw swivel head #13  
You know, in replying to your posts, I looked around at the saws on the web, and I don't think you're going to find a saw much different than the one on the website for the money. Jet and Wilton make saws very much the same for varying prices.

I would stick to one of those for parts availability, and because i think they have a better saw guide system, the heart of good, accurate cuts. If you plan on doing alot of cutting, consider getting a chip blower to help cool the blade and work piece. Liquid coolant systems are great but can be messy and like diesel fuel, micro organisms can grow in the coolant. There are biocides available to control growth, though. Also look into bi-metal blades for extended blade life.

Your next best bet would be to keep an eye out for industrial machine tool auctions. Sometimes there's a deal to be had in a larger, more capable, machine. The smaller saws are like the sub compact tractors. They can do, just not as fast or as much, as a larger saw.

I think for the many projects it sounds as you may have in the works, you may want to up your budget in the future for a bigger saw.

Doug