Ballast Box Help

/ Ballast Box Help #1  

jorswift

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300, Ford Jubilee
OK, I want to make a cement ballast box for my JD4300. I have this older 3pt attachment that Im going to use. However, how big and how many bags of quickrete will i need to disquiet ballast? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 185
   / Ballast Box Help #2  
Concrete weighs in about 150 pounds per cubic foot..... I made a 4 cubic foot box (2x2x1 ft) that probably weighs in at about 550-600 pounds and it took (If i remember correctly) 8-9 bags of 60 pound bags of premix sacked concrete....

Also there is several message thread about ballast boxes, you can find them by using search feature....

Ballast box.jpg

Spray can caps cover sections of 2 inch ABS tubing as tool holders, caps keep leaves and crap out of tubes when not in use...

Dale

/ Ballast Box Help #3  
After I built a wooden form around some steel and mounted it on a pallet, I took it to a local readmix place and they filled it in return for a donation to their coffee fund. They loaded on my utility trailer. I did have a bit of trouble lifting the pallet off my trailer with no counterweight so have something on the rear! Mine is half my loader's lift capacity to full height at pins and I love the feeling with it on, but I wish it was heavier at 60 to 75%. I have loaded tires as well.

/ Ballast Box Help
Just read the manual to my 420 loader. It states if on a 4300 tractor, I should have 6 wheel weights or fluid in the tires to use the loader. My tractor has neither...it also suggest weight for the ballast with either of those. What weight should i go with? Was thinking about 800lbs. Thanks

/ Ballast Box Help #5  
Just read the manual to my 420 loader. It states if on a 4300 tractor, I should have 6 wheel weights or fluid in the tires to use the loader. My tractor has neither...it also suggest weight for the ballast with either of those. What weight should i go with? Was thinking about 800lbs. Thanks

I have no ideal as to how much weight you need to add with a ballast box. I would think your manual would suggest that.
While if you do not have any reason to not add weight at your axles (such as mowing) then add that weight realizing that weight in/on your wheels makes the wheel very heavy if you have to remove it for any reason—wheel weights are in my opinion a pain to install and remove, but can greatly increase traction (filled tires being included in this).
As for the ballast box weight remember the grade school fulcrum lessons we learned on what my generation called the see-saw (my children called it a tetter-todder), that lighter weight at a greater distance from the pivot point can offset much greater weight. Most agree that the pivot point for rear ballast is the rear axle/wheels while the pivot point for the loader is the front axle/wheels.
The point of rear counter weight (ballast) is to put weight to the rear of the front axle. Thus filled tires, rear wheel weights and 3ph ballast box all factor into this and thus a lesser weight 24” or more behind the rear axle can have a greater effect of shifting the pivot point for the loader away from the front axle and keeping the rear tires on the ground.
Only caution I have about weight on your 3ph for your ballast is to not max out its lifting capacity.

/ Ballast Box Help #6  
This is what MF suggest in their GC 1700 Series SCUTS.... Formula would probably work for any tractor size....

ballast.jpg

This is difference my 500-600 lb ballast made (JD weighs in at 520 lgs according to specs supplied with mower) ...

20190513_134020.jpg20190513_134501.jpg

Dale

/ Ballast Box Help #7  
Your 3Pt hitch can lift 2200lbs and since your tires are not loaded I would recommend 1000 or 1200 lbs. Search TBN for Homemade ballast designs and make sure it hangs out behind the 3pt.

/ Ballast Box Help
Well I ended up making a box 27x26x16. 6.5cuft, used about 11 80lb bags of quikrete. The calculation says abit over 800lbs. IMG_2137.JPGIMG_2136.JPG

/ Ballast Box Help #9  
That should make a huge difference on your tractor. Post pics of the finished product for others considering building one.

/ Ballast Box Help #10  
Well I ended up making a box 27x26x16. 6.5cuft, used about 11 80lb bags of quikrete. The calculation says abit over 800lbs.

Looking good. Add a couple of rebar loops sticking up out of the top. Helps to pick it up should it topple over. Also, helps if you decide to add another 6" of concrete later on.

x2 for photos.