Ball valves for hydraulics?

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #1  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
I have a neighbor who currently disconnects his 'Curl' on his FEL and connects it to his homemade snowplow Angle. Not bad but playing with hose fittings sounds like a source for a leak eventually. Can he use simple Ball Valves to stop the flow to his Bucket Curl? The thought was to put a Tee and Couplers before the valve that leads to the FEL Curl pistons. Put on plow, hook to 'new' Couplers, turn the valves tout fluid to Curl pistons, pressure stays on couplers for Plow Angle. Done. Can these basic ball valves handle the pressure?

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #2  
yes, just get valves rated for the system pressure or more due to spikes in pressure due to external forces. surplus center has some basic ones for 25$

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #3  
Gotta get valves rated for the pressure involved. Not going to find them at the Home Desperate plumbing section.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #4  
I have a neighbor who currently disconnects his 'Curl' on his FEL and connects it to his homemade snowplow Angle. Not bad but playing with hose fittings sounds like a source for a leak eventually. Can he use simple Ball Valves to stop the flow to his Bucket Curl? The thought was to put a Tee and Couplers before the valve that leads to the FEL Curl pistons. Put on plow, hook to 'new' Couplers, turn the valves tout fluid to Curl pistons, pressure stays on couplers for Plow Angle. Done. Can these basic ball valves handle the pressure?
Any ball valve properly rated for the pressure will work for a dead-end shutoff.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #5  
Water hose ball valves won't work.

Maybe chain bucket up. Remove and use hoses. Plug un used openings.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #6  
Yes there are ball valves designed for high pressure hydraulics.

Would an option be to add quick disconnects in lines to his curl. Just unplug curl and plug in angle? This is if he does not require both curl and angle functions.

Second option; install a diverter valve in curl circuit. This allows selecting either curl or angle with push button and then use joystick for motion control. Sometimes called 3rd function.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #7  
Would an option be to add quick disconnects in lines to his curl. Just unplug curl and plug in angle? This is if he does not require both curl and angle functions
This is what I would do rather than use ball valves.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #8  
I agree quick disconnects would be a good solution (which are already installed on our loader to make it removable)... A 3third function does allow him to use either or but is going to cost more to install & if does need both functions, he may not want to spend the money.

If you're going to do the ball valve route I would look at a 3-way diverting ball valve in the correct size & pressure. Cost will be almost the same for a 3-way diverter valve as it will be for an in-line ball valve, a T-fitting & couplers (by the time you buy all the pieces)... & you will have many less fitting connections to worry about leaks....

Something like this - in the correct size & pressure...

1666799642080.png

Surplus Center - 3/8" NPT 5880 PSI 3-Way Ball Valve Other places sell them too...

/ Ball valves for hydraulics?
I agree quick disconnects would be a good solution (which are already installed on our loader to make it removable)... A 3third function does allow him to use either or but is going to cost more to install & if does need both functions, he may not want to spend the money.

If you're going to do the ball valve route I would look at a 3-way diverting ball valve in the correct size & pressure. Cost will be almost the same for a 3-way diverter valve as it will be for an in-line ball valve, a T-fitting & couplers (by the time you buy all the pieces)... & you will have many less fitting connections to worry about leaks....

Something like this - in the correct size & pressure...

View attachment 767937

Surplus Center - 3/8" NPT 5880 PSI 3-Way Ball Valve Other places sell them too...
That valve is a Home Run!
My first thought was to use the soft line to the Curl hydro cylinder looking at the tractor, can we cut and double flare the hard line? It would make a neater modification as well as make the soft lines from the plow shorter. Is cutting and flaring an acceptable way to add the valve. Sorry for the dumb questions, the high pressure is where I'm fuzzy on what's acceptable. Valves and flaring pipe is no biggy for me, just wasn't sure with the pressure being a factor.

/ Ball valves for hydraulics? #10  
Can you install the valves in-line with the existing hard line... yes, if there is room. You need to make sure you are using the correct fittings, with the correct pressure ratings. Also most all tractors use a JIC 37 degree flare for the fittings so you will need to have the correct flaring tool for the JIC 37 degree fittings (or you can us flare-less fittings) & you need to make sure you have the correct fittings for the valve side also.

If you go this route make sure you measure everything twice & make sure you keep containments out of the hydraulic system.