Ball Joints: Home-made press

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
In preparation of the up coming task of changing the dreaded ball joints on my 3rd gen Dodge 3500, I made a home made press. Not the typical Cee style, rather totally boxed in.

Made 2 actually. The larger one is 1" x 2" bar steel, with the threaded portion being 1-1/2" x 2-1/2". Uses 1"-8 threads.

Smaller one is 1/2" x 2" steel with 1-1/2" x 2" threaded piece which is 3/4"-16 threads.

They worked just as I hoped they would. All the ball joints are out and awaiting the new ones to arrive tuesday.

Also work great for u-joints.

Just thought I would share. I know these are tough joints to pop, and didnt really trust a HF one (nor had the time to go get one). And didnt want to spend $200+ for a better set.

Heres some pics:
IMG_20140831_101056_793.jpgIMG_20140831_101103_089.jpgIMG_20140831_140808_070.jpgIMG_20140831_141424_867.jpg

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #2  
A great idea, would have made the job much easier.

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #3  
Make sure to keep the threads oiled on your new presses. They are machines just like anything else, oil will make them last much longer and make them easier to turn when using them.

That's the only advantage I see to a quality store bought model, the threaded rod is usually hardened and has very fine threads. The Harbor Freight model seems to get by without the very hard threads, but I do keep it oiled to help it last. Most of us won't use these things but once in a couple of years anyway, not like a professional frontend guy.

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press
Make sure to keep the threads oiled on your new presses. They are machines just like anything else, oil will make them last much longer and make them easier to turn when using them.

That's the only advantage I see to a quality store bought model, the threaded rod is usually hardened and has very fine threads. The Harbor Freight model seems to get by without the very hard threads, but I do keep it oiled to help it last. Most of us won't use these things but once in a couple of years anyway, not like a professional frontend guy.

I greased them.

Its a grade 8 bolts/thread rod, so its pretty hard already.

Most of the cheaper ones I have seen in the stores are aluminum C-frames anyway. I see that being the weakest link...aluminum threads.

I was debating on going with fine thread or a coarser thread for this puller. Fine threads give greater pressure with less torque of the wrench, but by nature, the "meat" of the thread is smaller. It is damaged/dinged easier. So I was torn as to what to use to make the best puller. For the larger puller I made, it was easy, cause I didnt have any 1" fine thread rods or nuts. So coarse it was. So I opted for 3/4" fine for the smaller puller.

They really did work great too. Got lucky and had just the right length piece of pipe and spacers to make the job a breeze. I did ball joints a month ago on and identical truck with a decent store bought puller set. I like my set-up better.

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #5  
Why can't I get the pictures? This site did the same to my tile plow build.

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #6  
LD1, you are one handy Dude!

You give me too much credit. But I can get by. Thanks for the kind words.

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #8  
Nice job! I always borrow them on the loaner tool deal from AutoZone and they are the C type. They work but really flex. On half of them I usually end up trying to drive them out with an air hammer.

Your home made looks better than any I have used, nice work.

Nice job! I always borrow them on the loaner tool deal from AutoZone and they are the C type. They work but really flex. On half of them I usually end up trying to drive them out with an air hammer.

Your home made looks better than any I have used, nice work.

I thought about the loaner tool, but even though it is free, driving 20 miles there and 20 miles back, TWICE, and the time involved....I wanted a more permanent solution.

I am unsure why so many of the ball joint presses are cee style. Boxed in like this would be much stronger. These didnt flex at all:thumbsup:

/ Ball Joints: Home-made press #10  
I thought about the loaner tool, but even though it is free, driving 20 miles there and 20 miles back, TWICE, and the time involved....I wanted a more permanent solution.

I am unsure why so many of the ball joint presses are cee style. Boxed in like this would be much stronger. These didnt flex at all:thumbsup:

Good to see I'm not the only one that goes through the trouble of making stuff that only gets used a couple times. I made a differential housing spreader about 5 years ago... used it once to rebuild my rearend and it has sat on the shelf ever since. Took me as long to make it as it did to do the rebuild :)