baler recommendations

/ baler recommendations #21  
I own a [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] M7040(64 pto HP) & when my JD 4255 had no operating air conditioning(faulty AC comp) a couple yrs ago I utilized my M7040 to pull my JD 467 rd baler for a few weeks. [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] M7040 made 4X5.5 on virtually level soil with no problems.

I chuckle at all the nay sayers about not having faith in used equipment to be reliable to harvest hay. My '07 JD 467 rd baler with over ""29,000 bales on monitor"" made over 600 rd bales last year without so much as a ""hiccup"".
JD has probably the best net wrapper in the business. Easy to load and and simple. No duck bill and fewer moving (and wearing parts). I'd have one if I bought another round bailer.

/ baler recommendations #22  
I read about "duckbill & sledge roller"" failures of competitive rd balers & think I sure glad I won't ever experience those problems. "Knock on wood" I've had very minimal problems with netwrap on my JD rd baler.

/ baler recommendations #23  
My new [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] BV is hard to load net in. It's a front load and a PITA.

/ baler recommendations #24  
I never understood why some rd baler manufacturers designed net to be loaded from the front of baler instead rear similar to JD rd balers. At 90#s of weight per roll of net(13,200' in length) loading from rear is difficult enough just sliding roll from bed of truck to net wrap attachment & I can't envision effort required to load in the front of rd baler.

/ baler recommendations #25  
I never understood why some rd baler manufacturers designed net to be loaded from the front of baler instead rear similar to JD rd balers. At 90#s of weight per roll of net(13,200' in length) loading from rear is difficult enough just sliding roll from bed of truck to net wrap attachment & I can't envision effort required to load in the front of rd baler.
On my RB450, they resolved that (somewhat) by adding a storage compartment above the net wrap assembly in front. You can now store an additional roll above the one in use. You slide it out, drop down a foot, then slide it on the tube.
They still have a “trunk” compartment on the back to hold another roll.

/ baler recommendations #26  
I haven't been involved with baling hay since I was a kid. I know I'm not really going to make any money baling hay, and it's probably going to take a couple years to even break even. But I'm tired of depending on someone else and having to buy hay. I will be baling less than 100 acres, unless I lease some pasture. Most of the hay I will be using for my cows and horses, and possibly sell a small amount to a couple neighbors.

I'm looking at used equipment. I have to stay under 15k total on equipment. I'd like to stay under10k, but will go a little more.

I'm looking for a 4x5 or 4x6 baler. Been looking at vermeer rebel's 5410, 5420, 504m, etc. Also looking at new holland br750, 658, br740, etc. I'm also open to other brands. Twine only is not a deal breaker. I would love to have net wrap, but prices are definitely better for the twine only models. It seems that I can get a better condition and newer baler for a lot better price than one with net. To get one with net I'll have to get one that has a lot more bales through it, or a lot older. I really prefer one with a monitor too.

For a cutter I've been looking at a few sickle mowers that's still useable. I know where a vicon disc mower is for 3k too, and it's in good shape. Also I've seen a few haybine's for good prices and the rubber still looks good on the rollers.

My thinking is buy a cheap rake for the first couple years. I've found a couple older bar rakes for 1500 and less. Also seen a few wheel rakes in that price range that's still useable.

What would you recommend for a baler? To start off I'll be using my tractor with 53 pto hp. Ground is flat and I know I'll be a little slower going with my current tractor. But I will be getting a bigger tractor in the future.

It won't be easy to get usable hay equipment with a budget of $15k for a round baler, cutter, and rake.

A 4x5 or 4x6 round baler that's not broken or completely worn out generally starts at $15k around here, although you might get one for closer to $10k if it's a twine only model as nearly everybody around here net wraps so they can store bales outside. 53 PTO HP and a 4500 pound dry weight tractor might do okay enough if you are doing dry hay on flat ground, back off on the bale size and density if needed. Smallest tractor I've ever run in front of a round baler was about 65 PTO HP and it did fine.

You could get a used sickle mower that works for $1000-1500 or so. Haybines are generally $3000-5000 in running condition (depending on size and condition). I've never cut with a plain sickle but I have with a Haybine. They are certainly usable, but nowhere near as fast as a disc mower and can get jammed up with clumps of hay that won't faze a disc mower. You will be spending at least $6000-7500 on a 3 point disc mower that's not complete junk. I would not buy a disc mower that's not in good shape, particularly if it's a gear bed mower like a Kuhn, else you will be doing some very expensive repairs. You don't have enough power to run a disc mower-conditioner (Discbine, MoCo) or one of the trailed disc mowers that's larger than 10 1/2'.

A bar rake in good condition will run about a grand for a Deere 660 or 670 and about two grand for a New Holland 256 or 258 or one of Deere's newer bar rakes that are much less commonly seen (662, 672, 64, 72.) Essentially every V wheel rake I've seen under about $3k is either broken or had been broken and welded on with varying amounts of skill. The inexpensive ones have the wheels mounted in pairs to little lightweight U-shaped frames, these like to bend and break. The heavier ones where the wheels attach individually to a toolbar-like wing generally start at $5-6k used but they hold up a lot better. Given your budget, just get a bar rake in good shape and call it a day.

/ baler recommendations #28  
It won't be easy to get usable hay equipment with a budget of $15k for a round baler, cutter, and rake.

A 4x5 or 4x6 round baler that's not broken or completely worn out generally starts at $15k around here, although you might get one for closer to $10k if it's a twine only model as nearly everybody around here net wraps so they can store bales outside. 53 PTO HP and a 4500 pound dry weight tractor might do okay enough if you are doing dry hay on flat ground, back off on the bale size and density if needed. Smallest tractor I've ever run in front of a round baler was about 65 PTO HP and it did fine.

You could get a used sickle mower that works for $1000-1500 or so. Haybines are generally $3000-5000 in running condition (depending on size and condition). I've never cut with a plain sickle but I have with a Haybine. They are certainly usable, but nowhere near as fast as a disc mower and can get jammed up with clumps of hay that won't faze a disc mower. You will be spending at least $6000-7500 on a 3 point disc mower that's not complete junk. I would not buy a disc mower that's not in good shape, particularly if it's a gear bed mower like a Kuhn, else you will be doing some very expensive repairs. You don't have enough power to run a disc mower-conditioner (Discbine, MoCo) or one of the trailed disc mowers that's larger than 10 1/2'.

A bar rake in good condition will run about a grand for a Deere 660 or 670 and about two grand for a New Holland 256 or 258 or one of Deere's newer bar rakes that are much less commonly seen (662, 672, 64, 72.) Essentially every V wheel rake I've seen under about $3k is either broken or had been broken and welded on with varying amounts of skill. The inexpensive ones have the wheels mounted in pairs to little lightweight U-shaped frames, these like to bend and break. The heavier ones where the wheels attach individually to a toolbar-like wing generally start at $5-6k used but they hold up a lot better. Given your budget, just get a bar rake in good shape and call it a day.
That’s why I usually suggest to newbies to let someone else cut for them and put the cutter money into the baler. Haybines are tough on the patience (slow) and unplugging is a *****.

Let someone else mow your hay, then teach yourself to tedder/rake/bale/store hay.
If it’s something you enjoy, then you can start saving for a discbine

/ baler recommendations
   / baler recommendations #30  
Without seeing this in person what do you think about a 466 john deere? It's definitely in my price range. I could make a trip to see my dad and go look at it.

I was talking with a friend of mine. He works for a local cattle guy and does all his hay cutting. He might be able to come cut mine... MIGHT. That's what I'm trying to avoid is waiting for someone else.....
You are starting out the right way.

See if you can turn the “might” into “will”.

If it’s “might”, I can all but about guarantee a no-show.

If you must do a haybine, check out a NH499 center pivot. They are cheap, plentiful, highly regarded and easy to get parts for.

1673531324803.jpeg

Still better to get even a small old discbine, though.