Bad time to drop a turbo!

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #1  

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

After thinking about even large tractors I can not grasp something like the turbo on a ship like this or the 18,000 HP tug pulling it to a safe harbor.:thumbsup:

I take they have it running without the turbo just trying to stay out of the rocks.

29 foot seas and 45 MPH wind was just too much under limited power that would let them go 3-4 MPH.

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #2  
Here's a messed up one compared to a new one.

((I don't do this work, but I'm standing next to the guy that does.))

Last edited:
   / Bad time to drop a turbo! #3  
Wow! Is that FOD? Wonder if ships have air filters???? Every outboard I've owned didn't.

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #4  
Here's a messed up one compared to a new one.

((I don't do this work, but I'm standing next to the guy that does.))

I think it's absolutely priceless to look at the old one and the new one both sitting there on $5 pallets. Heck, the new one even has a little rust on its axle shaft.:rolleyes:

Note: this is the casual observation of someone who knows nothing about the context of these photos. I'm just curious.

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #5  
Do those have bearings or bushings?

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #6  
Do those have bearings or bushings?

I think the following is important to know by most of the turbo charged engine tractor owners.
No they don't. The turbo chargers are not equipped neither with bearings, nor with the bushings. Suppose the turbo chargers reach 120,000 rpm/min, so I don't know any bearing, which could not vibrate at such conditions. But to minimize a friction it used so called the "wet bearing" - it's a film of oil created by the engine's pressure, which surrounding turbine's axle keeps it centered and well lubricated.

Never mind if You'll find some turbine's axle play while moving it by finger with the hose removed. That play will be immediately eliminated as soon as an engine will be started.
To check the condition of a turbo charger remove the hose between turbo charger and intercooler at intercooler's side. If You'll find some oil traces in both intercooler and hose, means You need make serious inspection and frequently check engine oil level. If You'll find pretty much oil in intercooler, means turbo charger is near to be out of order.
At normal conditions that part of air inlet must be dry of oil.

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #7  
Lots of higher performance turbochargers now have ball bearings....

/ Bad time to drop a turbo! #8  
Lots of higher performance turbochargers now have ball bearings....
I would think rolling element bearings would fly apart at turbo speeds -- even with ceramic balls to limit mass. Are you sure that isnt superchargers that use the ball bearings? :confused: The hydrodynamic plain bearing/~bushing seems the way to go for 100K turbo speeds.
larry

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Skid Steer Tracks (A32908)
Skid Steer Tracks...
1972 TRAILMOBILE TANKER (A32908)
1972 TRAILMOBILE...
Squeeze Chute (A33041)
Squeeze Chute (A33041)
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
John Deere 535 Hay Baler (A32908)
John Deere 535 Hay...
2015 John Deere 6115M (A33526)
2015 John Deere...