Bad QDs?

/ Bad QDs? #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I don't know if my problem is bad QDs on the remote or a relief valve:hissyfit:. When I hang the backhoe's bucket on a root or walk the tractor with the hoe, if I do it in an excessive amount of time, the remote lower QD pops off.:pullinghair: This QD is the type that pushes on and just pulls off. No lock to slide to disconnect it. What do Y'all think? I have to shut the tractor down and cycle the backhoe controls and remote lever to bled pressure down, then I can muscle the QD back into the locked position. It isn't that bad during daylight, but when it happens at night and I need to shut down,..............I'm literally in the dark trying to reconnect the QD.:whiteflag:
hugs, Brandi:cowgirl::us-texas:

/ Bad QDs? #2  
I would say that the QD is worn, and will not hold a locking condition.

There might also be some excess tension on the pull to disconnect hose and QD.

You could either rebuild it with a kit, or replace it with same kind.

You might also try some different QD that connect under pressure.

Some of the QD's connect under low pressure condition, and other QD's connect at full pressure.

If you go flat face QD's, they are easier to keep clean and easy to connect.

Are you using any break away coupler clamps?

http://www.safewayhyd.com/accessories.htm

http://www.tractorjoe.com/hyd-coupler-kit

Last edited:
   / Bad QDs? #3  
Sounds like the springs in the detent balls are getting weak Brandi. Time for a new coupler...

/ Bad QDs? #4  
The relief would not have anything to do with the QD while connecting and disconnection. It only goes off when the set pressure is achieved.

If the QD is feeding a cyl or motor and became disconnected, the relief on the valve would go off.

/ Bad QDs? #5  
Some QD's are mounted in such a way that if the hose is pulled, the entire QD (both sides) moves toward the direction of pull, but the QD is mounted by it's collar, so it becomes disconnected. This was a safety feature for when folks disconnect the equipment, but forget to disconnect the QD. None of my equipment is like that, but my buddy's MF165 remotes are like that, and I find it irritating. I suppose I would find it irritating too, though, if I pulled two hoses in two.

/ Bad QDs?
Some QD's are mounted in such a way that if the hose is pulled, the entire QD (both sides) moves toward the direction of pull, but the QD is mounted by it's collar, so it becomes disconnected. This was a safety feature for when folks disconnect the equipment, but forget to disconnect the QD. None of my equipment is like that, but my buddy's MF165 remotes are like that, and I find it irritating. I suppose I would find it irritating too, though, if I pulled two hoses in two.
I think you hit it. The hoses move a huge amount when you cycle the controls. They must jump around so much, they just pop off. All of my QDs I have bought and installed elsewhere on the tractor and backhoe are like that. You have to slide the locking ring aft to lock or unlock. I will R&R that set of remote QDs ASAP.
Thanks and hugs, Brandi

/ Bad QDs? #7  
The coupler bracket you mentioned was designed to uncouple the QD's if the operator forgot.

I don't think you would have to replace the QD's if you took the pulling pressure off the hoses, but, maybe the hoses are to short.

You could also remove the break away bracket.

/ Bad QDs?
I would say that the QD is worn, and will not hold a locking condition.

There might also be some excess tension on the pull to disconnect hose and QD.

You could either rebuild it with a kit, or replace it with same kind.

You might also try some different QD that connect under pressure.

Some of the QD's connect under low pressure condition, and other QD's connect at full pressure.

If you go flat face QD's, they are easier to keep clean and easy to connect.

Are you using any break away coupler clamps?

SafeWay Hydraulics - Accessories

Hyd Coupler Kit - 85004 | TractorJoe.com

These items would not work as there is nothing to grip between the male and female couples to hold them connected. These are factory Mahindra remote QDs.
Brandi

/ Bad QDs?
The coupler bracket you mentioned was designed to uncouple the QD's if the operator forgot.

I don't think you would have to replace the QD's if you took the pulling pressure off the hoses, but, maybe the hoses are to short.

You could also remove the break away bracket.

The hose are okay in length and there are no break away brackets. Problem solved.........change the QDs.
Brandi