bad fuel.

/ bad fuel. #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
I though I would post this and maybe save someone a lot of trouble. I hadn't got fuel for awhile was waiting for the price to come down. When it did I got 500 gals and fueled all my tractors. My BX started to run out of fuel, done all filter changes on all tractors and fuel tank. Checked my records and the bx was the 1st one I filled and got something in the tank. When I got into the tank I remove 10 to 15 lady bugs. I almost S@@@ my pants. The only thing I can come up with is. they were in my fuel noozle. Sure blew the low fuel price after buying all the filters.

/ bad fuel. #2  
I hear you, Mate. I've had to ensure that all hoses/nozzles that are not being used are covered with a corner of a plastic bag and then an elastic band to seal the covering IOT keep insects from making their nests/homes in them.

Now that I think about it, a piece of cellophane (like 'Glad Wrap') would work too along with the elastic band. (I'll have to remember that come Spring!)

We've got Mud-dauber Wasps here that can really plug up any hose/nozzle-end, but I've found small grasshoppers choking water hose quick-connects too.

/ bad fuel. #3  
I took a black iron end cap of about the right size, ground the threads out so it would fit snugly over the end of my nozzle. works like a charm. Ladybugs and blue bottle flies are attracted to the diesel residue in the nozzle. Have taken them out of fuel tanks on gas riders after the owner switched his diesel tank to gas,

/ bad fuel. #4  
Didn't they used to have a metal dust cap for fuel nozzles at one time? Just a nice fit over the nozzle's end and held on with a long skinny (3/16" ?) little spring type lanyard?

/ bad fuel.
I think there was one for the stright nozzle I have a curved one.

/ bad fuel. #6  
Didn't they used to have a metal dust cap for fuel nozzles at one time? Just a nice fit over the nozzle's end and held on with a long skinny (3/16" ?) little spring type lanyard?

Actually they did, but I haven't seen one in years.

/ bad fuel. #7  
I've been using a Mr Funnel now for about a year. It will not only remove small debris, it also removes water. Pretty handy to have one around.

/ bad fuel. #9  
Leejohn,
Thanks for the heads up!
I didn't realize that some bugs are attracted to diesel vapors!

Toyboy,
I have been stricken with rust, dirt and water before, but not bugs. Yep, just another reason to always use a screened funnel.
Like many I suspect, I was always irritated to have to ALWAYS be waiting on the funnel to drain.
But I was also pretty stubborn to not spend nearly 20$ on a silly funnel....however, my "Mr. Funnel AF3CB Fuel Filter" was one purchase I wished I would have made years ago! :thumbsup:

BarnieTrk

/ bad fuel. #10  
So I often hear about getting fuel from a "known good source" and I believe that there IS NO SUCH PLACE. Not throwing rocks at the suppliers, but if the retail store does not have good filtration, you have the potential for a REALLY big problem.

We have bought almost all of our diesel from the same station in town for almost 6 years, never had a single problem, until now.

There is "gunk" in the F-W separator on our tractor after a 4 GALLON PURCHASE! Imagine what the filters on the truck would look like after a 35+ gallon purchase!

No, it's not their fault and no they shouldn't have to buy my replacement filter. There is risk in everything, if you reject that, about all you can do is crawl under some rock.