Backhoe Backhoe with thumb vs grapple

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #1  

Bronco82

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
Before I make my initial purchase of a tractor with or without backhoe and the future thought of a grapple, if you could only have one, which would it be?

My assumption is that a backhoe with thumb is ideal for digging and moving rocks/trees where as the grapple is better for clearing brush, or picking up rocks/trees. Is the backhoes really only benefit over a grapple the ability to dig down deeper or is there something I am missing, which very well be the case.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #2  
Well for me the thumb on my backhoe is very useful when digging stumps or clearing out deeper ditch banks. After digging a stump I can pick it up and drop it several times to help remove the dirt. In the deep ditches I can grab and remove and trees or debris a lot easier. Mine is manual and occasionally gets in the way of digging but I usually leave it set in position when digging stumps. If digging ditches of course you swing it up and out of the way.

The grapple is on the Skid Steer and a lot of work can be done with it. Actually I could clean dirt from the stumps and pick up lots more debris with the grapple so I'd say for me I get more use from the grapple. Now I can't clean off the deep ditch banks with the grapple so it's just what kind of work you need to do the most if you're going to have one or the other.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #3  
I have both and use them for the particular needs I run into. Sometimes I need to reach out to grab something, and my grapple would require that I am closer; but the backhoe and hydraulic thumb do it much quicker. However, when I need to pick up individual rocks, the backhoe thumb is hard to beat. If I need to grab and tote a bunch of brush, grapple is the answer.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #4  
I have a BH without a grapple and a grapple for my FEL. I don't find the need for a grapple on the BH. I can dig out, turn around, grapple, and haul off.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #5  
FEL root grapple is more versatile, thumb on your backhoe is pretty handy when using you backhoe. If you only had one, FEL grapple is it.

BTW - my grapple is on my Kubota L45 95% of the time.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #6  
FEL root grapple is more versatile, thumb on your backhoe is pretty handy when using you backhoe. If you only had one, FEL grapple is it.

BTW - my grapple is on my Kubota L45 95% of the time.

This^

My opinion based on

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #7  
What will you be needing to do most?

Compare how much you can pinch between your thumb and forefinger to what you can grasp in your entire hand, curling all four fingers and your thumb. Your thumb and forefinger (backhoe) is more precise, but the entire hand (grapple,) can handle far more...

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #8  
What will you be needing to do most?

Compare how much you can pinch between your thumb and forefinger to what you can grasp in your entire hand, curling all four fingers and your thumb. Your thumb and forefinger (backhoe) is more precise, but the entire hand (grapple,) can handle far more...

And that is a good illustration of why I have both. There are times when I need to pick up one thing out of a mess of many.

/ Backhoe with thumb vs grapple #9  
And that is a good illustration of why I have both. There are times when I need to pick up one thing out of a mess of many.

Yep! Building a stone retaining wall, and placing the stones, is the most meaningful use I have gotten from my hoe and thumb combination... though I have a "mini-hoe" and must articulate the machine to swing the dipper stick, rather than a real backhoe, I think the similarity still applies.