Backhoe backhoe question

/ backhoe question #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
I've got a new Century 3647, 4 wheel drive, with the new Cummins. I did not need the FEL, but really could use the backhoe. I've had some people tell me you can use the tractor and backhoe without the FEL, and others say it should never be done. Any ideas?
The Century dealer says the backhoe must have the FEL because it uses the subframe and pump, etc.
But I've seen companies like Bradco which offer aftermarket backhoes using a 3 pt. hitch connection, no FEL required.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using the 3 pt. system instead of the subframe?
I'm stumped.

Thanks, Anthony

/ backhoe question #2  
I am with the group that says to never use a BH without a loader. The loader helps off set the large amount or weight on the back of the tractor. The loader also stabilizes the whole unit when digging, the loader bucket is flipped over and the front of the tractor is raised slightly. By doing this the unit tends to stay in place better.

/ backhoe question #3  
anthonyk
I agree, you should have the FEL. The C-76/86 backhoe will not mount up with out it and I do not suggest a 3 point unit.
Hope that helps.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ backhoe question #4  
I agree with Jerry and Chipperman. The loader is an intregal part of the subframe, and I won't sell a backhoe without a subframe. Plus you need a loader, you just don't realize it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ backhoe question
Thanks.
Any idea what I should expect to pay?

anthony