backhoe or excavator?

/ backhoe or excavator? #1  

finspop

Silver Member
Hi,

Looking for some advice. I want to clear about 5 acres of forest; lots of 8-12" poplar and birch, a fair amount of larger softwoods (fir, spruce, hemlock). I've been clearing with saw and tractor, leaving hundreds of stumps.

So. What's the best way to go? I know everyone loves excavators, but I have budget issues: Can't spend more than about $15k. Seems like I can get a pretty nice backhoe that has some real heft, or a mini excavator in the 8-10k pound range. Which will do better at stumping? I like the versatility of the backhoe, with the heavy duty loader (I have a Ford 2120 tractor, which can only lift about 2k pounds). I also wonder if a 14,000-pound backhoe will do better at pushing over small trees and eliminating some of the chainsaw work.

Any advice?

Thanks!

/ backhoe or excavator? #2  
A backhoe would be more versatile. The excavator would be quicker to move around and set-up for digging. If you can't buy both, I would get the backhoe, you would probably use it more later.

/ backhoe or excavator? #3  
I strongly recommend that you stop cutting and leaving stumps. The best way to get the stump up is by pushing the tree down with the backhoe/excavator bucket which brings the stump up. Without that leverage, you are going to be digging all day long to get a few 12" stumps out of the ground. It's a hugely frustrating experience. You'd be surprised how large the root ball on a 12" tree can be.

You can possibly find a full size, older backhoe for 15k. It will have some problems and will likely need some work, though. Working in the woods is tough on a backhoe. I doubt you can find an operable excavator for 15k. I would go with a TLB. They are very versatile.

/ backhoe or excavator? #4  
I had about 2 acres cleared at my cabin I cough a track loader working the area and 10 hrs at $100.00 hr that was cheep to have him push trees over
It will be easier on their equipment to push the trees over than dig the stumps out and pocket the other $14,000. and cut the wood out of the piles

tommu

/ backhoe or excavator? #5  
I'd go for a backhoe if your only buying one tractor. Fairly straightforward to work on, Can do some work while being easily moved short distances.

I don't know that I'd go charging through the bush with one, but you can definately take out small to medium size trees with either end. My prefered attack is to break some roots around the stump and then push, usually with the backhoe. A couple extra buckets are handy. Most machines are gonna come with a 24" bucket and that's your main bucket. A 12" bucket is easier to dig stumps with as it moves less dirt. A 36" is great for cleaning out ditches or grading sand for a concrete slab.

Stick with a major player for a used machine. An orphan that's hard to get parts for is a pain.

/ backhoe or excavator? #6  
I've been working on clearing out 20 acres for a little over 4 years now (plus roads, building pads, horse paddocks, etc). Been renting dozers and excavators for the most part or paying contractors for the real heavy lifting.

Just bought a 110 this past April. Good machine.

It's a slower process to clear land with a TLB. I needed a tractor with 3pt capabilities. So, the TLB with 3pt. made sense for my needs.

You've got a tractor. Do you really want another tractor - even if it's a TLB?

You've only got 5 acres to clear.

I'd rent an excavator. You could likely clear the whole parcel for less than $5K by renting a 25,000lb machine.

A bigger excavator can 'doze the smaller stumps out with the blade and with a thumb on the bucket you can stack the timber for firewood or sale, etc.

If you still want a newer tractor - use the $10K to buy one - after all the trees are down and the stumps cleared.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

AKfish

/ backhoe or excavator?
Thanks for all the input.

My concern with renting an excavator is the learning curve; I've only run one once, so I suspect it would take a few days of expensive fumbling before I was getting my $ out of the machine.

Just talked to a local operator with a 19" chipper; claims he can saw flush to ground and chip about an acre/day. I'm skeptical. I don't mind leaving the stumps flush to rot; in fact, it would be better for the soil to do so.

Still puzzling on it.

/ backhoe or excavator? #8  
you can learn to run an ex in about 3hours honestly...its not hard to run....its a little harder to get really proficient..but the fun factor makes up for it...rent a 312 (cat) sized machine with a thumb...you wont look at a backhoe the same way again

/ backhoe or excavator? #9  
you can learn to run an ex in about 3hours honestly...its not hard to run....its a little harder to get really proficient..but the fun factor makes up for it...rent a 312 (cat) sized machine with a thumb...you wont look at a backhoe the same way again

Yup!

I agree.

I have an L39, great little TLB I work hard.

The BH got a lot more use before I picked up an old Komatsu PC75UU-2 with blade and Thumb. 18,000 lbs and too small, but I now use the BH as a balast most of the time. It is still very handy for a small job, but the excavator is much faster and easier to use on any serious digging.

However if you can only have one machine and don't want to rent, get the TLB. First ask if you will have use enought to keep it after the majority of the work is done.

Excavators are like big old boats, cost to keep running is not for the faint of heart. I guess neither is hiring out and renting.

Attachments

• DSC03028.JPG
    DSC03028.JPG
    539 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC03043.JPG
    DSC03043.JPG
    718.9 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC03029.JPG
    DSC03029.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC03030.jpg
    DSC03030.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC03019.JPG
    DSC03019.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC03023.JPG
    DSC03023.JPG
    695.5 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC03017.JPG
    DSC03017.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 358
   / backhoe or excavator?
Thanks for all the input.

Right now, looking at hiring the work out to a feller buncher and selling logs into pulp market (see "mulching/clearing options" thread). Not the best time to spend the nest egg on heavy equipment.