Backhoe Backhoe for a Branson 4520

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520 #1  

bradheiter

Has anyone bought a Branson Backhoe for their 20 series tractors? How do you like it? I would be using it to trench in about 400 feet of water and electric line, dig 20 holes for the concrete pads for the pole bases of a pole building, remove or at least dig around to remove the 20 or so rocks in a hay pasture, clean out some ditches and to make a small pond. Plus I'm sure there are other things I'll use it for. My intention is to purchase it and in 2 or 3 years when my projects are finished, sell it. If it can't do what I need then I would be better off renting a real loader/backhoe.
Cheers,
Brad

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520 #2  
I dont have a machine like yours, but I've gotten to the point that I'd almost rather give up my loader than my backhoe. I'd bet a coke that after 2 years, you will be just as attached to yours /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520 #3  
I'd think you would want a post hole digger for the holes, and I've heard that a trencher is far more efficient, depending on your circumstances/conditions than a backhoe for digging trenches. However, that should not stop you from getting a backhoe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. And I bet you won't want to get rid of it after a couple years either.

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520 #4  
Brad, a 4520 without a backhoe just ain't right! We've sold a bunch of the 7620 hoes this year without one complaint. The sub frame mount works real well, and you can remove the hoe in less than 3 minutes. It is true that a trencher is better to dig trenches and a post hole digger is better to dig small holes, but all around a backhoe is a very handy tool.

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520
Thanks for the input.
Because of the sandy soil I have the pole building plans call for an 18 inche diameter concrete pad at the bottom of each pole (post hole diggers don't seem to do that). I also have a "few" rocks here and there so I've been warned about expecting to get 'too far' with a rented trencher. That is why I am planning to use a 9 inche bucket to trench with and just dig out the problem rocks. The ones in the hay field are about the size of a 55 gallon drum. My fear is that the Branson back hoe won't be up to the work out. I am sure that a I won't want to part with it, if it works well, but I need to believe it is up to getting my projects done or else I'll have my wife tell me she told me so. THAT I CAN NOT HAVE!!!
Thanks for the info. I'm ordering the tractor and ..stuff..tommorrow, don't plan on getting much sleep tonight. I'll let you know what I order and how I like it.
TractorByNet has put together a GREAT group a people that are very informative. Again THANKS for the info and you sharing your experiences. OH, as if you can't tell, this is my first tractor. This is a big purchase ( for me) and I have no experience, this forum has been a great help.
Cheers,
Brad

/ Backhoe for a Branson 4520 #6  
to take care of the BIG rocks just dig a large deep hole beside it and roll it in and it will be out of your way. Just be sure and dig it deep enough as you don't want to do it twice. Of course some people will pay big money for Big rocks that they can put in there yard so they have something they can mow and trim around