backhoe diggs slow

/ backhoe diggs slow #1  

seedman4

I have KOYKER KB-60 backhoe that is ran off a PTO pump(unkowm GPM).bougth this hoe used.The thing that troubles me is that when i dig or retreave the boom in it works slow.even when i curl the bucket while digging.
My question is do i need a larger GPM pump???
I am running at 1500 -2000 rpms.Tractor wise.the tractor is a 3525 mihindra
35 HP.can anyone tell me what i can do to improve the power to the backhoe.
Thanks....

/ backhoe diggs slow #2  
Well without knowing the pump specs, it is kind of hard to tell what you are up against. Without knowing what it is supposed to put out and then comparing it against what it is actually delivering to the hoe, you won't know if it is the wrong pump or if something else is wrong that could cause the slow response? Are there any numbers on the pump at all? Got any pictures of the pump?

One thing you can also do is time how long it takes to fully extend a particular cylinder like the dipper or bucket curl. Then measure what the bore and stroke(actual stroke in use) of that cylinder is. With this info you can determine how much flow is actually reaching the backhoe. A manual or the manufacturer should be able to tell you if this is enough for that backhoe.

Good luck

/ backhoe diggs slow #3  
You mentioned you bought it used.
I've read where guys put flow restrictors into the hose connection sometimes to reduce the speed on purpose. I wonder if this one has something like that? I'm not sure, but I think Ron has done something like that for his backhoe?

Easy things to check is the filter on the backhoe or the strainer screen to be sure it's not blocked off. Also fluid level...I presume it has it's own sump tank, right? If you haven't done so already, might as well check those things.

Ron is right that you need to determine what the flow should be and then determine if the PTO pump produces it or not. Also try to determine at what PTO rpm does that pump make the rated flow. You don't want to exceed that. On your Mahindra, what engine rpm does it take to get your PTO to 540rpm? Do you have a 2 speed PTO? If the pump needs to turn faster than 540 rpm, you could use your other (faster) PTO speed. But like I said, don't exceed what the pump is rated for.

/ backhoe diggs slow #4  
I had a similar problem when I installed my Woods BH80-X... Turned out to be a restriction on the supply hose at the PTO pump... in my infinite wisdom I had used double hose clamps on the barbed connection going into the pump, even though it didn't call for them. What I didn't realize is that the second clamp was not over the barbed fitting, but simply on the hose. You could not tell by looking at the clamp, or by the feel when I tightened it. Apparently it was restricting the flow to the pump just enough to impact performance... when I removed that clamp, all worked fine. Not saying this is the same problem you are having... just pointing out that restriction in the flow (kinked line, clamp out of place, filter, etc.) could be the problem.

/ backhoe diggs slow #5  
When pulling in or curling bucket while digging, the load on the pump would be at it's heaviest. Is it possible that it is a 2 stage pump? (like log splitters have) I don't know about these things, but I'm sure alot of guys on this forum do.:confused:

/ backhoe diggs slow #6  
seedman4 said:
I have KOYKER KB-60 backhoe that is ran off a PTO pump(unkowm GPM).bougth this hoe used.The thing that troubles me is that when i dig or retreave the boom in it works slow.even when i curl the bucket while digging.
My question is do i need a larger GPM pump???
I am running at 1500 -2000 rpms.Tractor wise.the tractor is a 3525 mihindra
35 HP.can anyone tell me what i can do to improve the power to the backhoe.
Thanks....

I looked up the specs on your equipment. Your tractor hydraulic outlet sources 8.3 gallons per minute. The recommended supply for your hoe is 3.5 to 4.0 gallons per minute. Your equipment should work with normal speed. I don't think you need a larger GPM pump.

If the hoe seems to be too slow, look for a restriction in the line somewhere (as previous posters have suggested). If only certain operations seem to be too slow, pay special attention to the lines feeding (or draining) those cylinders.

/ backhoe diggs slow #7  
Is your problem cylinder speed or cylinder power also? Does the engine strain when calling for full hydraulic flow? Is the relief valve kicking out? There could be any number of things causing this, but we need more details.

/ backhoe diggs slow #8  
You could have the packing in the cylinders leaking from one side to the other. And yes, you can have more than 1 cylinder blown at the same time. Heck, I had 7 on one hoe and 4 on the loader (it only has 11 total!).