backhoe cutting edges on homemade backhoe bucket.

/ backhoe cutting edges on homemade backhoe bucket. #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Hello all. Sorry for lack of pictures(s), so please bear with me. I will be making a small trenching bucket that will be approx. 2ft high. I bought beveled cutting edges (3/8 x3") to install on the front sides/vertical edges (mostly as a brace/stiffener/wear guard). My question is do I install them so the bevel directs the dirt into, or away from the bucket? If I install them so the bevel is away from the bucket I can have the bevel piece and the side piece be back to back, so there will be little chance of a wayward rock damaging anything. If I were to install the bevel facing the inside, the bevel portion would have to be forward of the bucket side piece, which makes me wonder if the thinner beveled edge caught a rock, what is the likely hood it would damage the beveled piece?

Please respond with opinions, and experiences. Thank you all in advance.

/ backhoe cutting edges on homemade backhoe bucket. #2  
when you put the bevel in it'll cut the ditch wall cleaner , look at manufactured buckets , plus it pulls dirt into the bucket kinda where you want it .good luck they're fun to build I built a 39" bucket a few years ago

/ backhoe cutting edges on homemade backhoe bucket. #3  
I made this 6" bucket for my Backhoe Attachment just for trenching and I seem to use it full time anymore.
I just sharpened the edge and use it to chop roots.

Attachments

• 000_0345.JPG
    000_0345.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 268