Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in?

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in?
I should ask if the boom cyl is on top or bottom of the boom.

The cylinder is on top of the boom.

Chad

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #12  
I would say to get a 12 dollar pressure guage and then you will KNOW what the pressure is.

Also, if you have diddled with the relief, and are adding a new pump -- won't you get an over pressure situation with the new pump in place?

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in?
I would say to get a 12 dollar pressure guage and then you will KNOW what the pressure is.

Also, if you have diddled with the relief, and are adding a new pump -- won't you get an over pressure situation with the new pump in place?

I've ordered a pressure gauge. Just waiting on it. I'll probably wait until this forecast for snow and ice is out of the way to install it and check the pressure out.

I'm gonna also make sure the pump is the culprit before I pony up the cash for a new pump. Hate to spend the money on a new pump, but I'm sure it's the problem. I'd rather spend the money on a new pump instead of digging by hand. lol

I'll put the pressure gauge on so when I add the new pump, I can set the relief valve to the correct pressure to avoid an over pressure situation.

Chad

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #14  
I had simular symptoms on my front end loader with the lift operation and it turned out to be one of the lift cylinders piston seals was blown apart. Cost about $20 and a bit of time to rebuild both cylinders, maybe will help, good luck.

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #15  
Chad did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same symptoms on an old backhoe.

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #16  
Chad did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same symptoms on an old backhoe.
Chad hasnt been around for 6 years so you might want to start a thread.

Id also include details like year, make, model of said backhoe.

Usually hydraulics dropping when supposed to raise is a stuck load-check valve. In the OP's case....dunno on a home made unit if the valve even had checks

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #17  
Chad hasnt been around for 6 years so you might want to start a thread.

Id also include details like year, make, model of said backhoe.

Usually hydraulics dropping when supposed to raise is a stuck load-check valve. In the OP's case....dunno on a home made unit if the valve even had checks
Many thanks, yes i did send him a message as well. I will investigate the pressure relief valve. I don't think the backhoe has one. My FEL operates normally so pretty sure the relief valve on the tractor is ok.

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #18  
Many thanks, yes i did send him a message as well. I will investigate the pressure relief valve. I don't think the backhoe has one. My FEL operates normally so pretty sure the relief valve on the tractor is ok.
If it has power and operating fine what makes you think to investigate the pressure relief?

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #19  
If it has power and operating fine what makes you think to investigate the pressure relief?
i've got a pressure gauge on order. so hopefully it will give me some clues.

/ Backhoe boom wants to drop when trying to raise it while bringing the stick in? #20  
i've got a pressure gauge on order. so hopefully it will give me some clues.
If it lifts and operates fine and seems to have power....your pressure is gonna be fine.

But you havent exactly been helpful or forthcoming with information. So all I can say is I wish you luck.