Back to watching black and white TV

/ Back to watching black and white TV #21  
Or a fistfight (those old westerns were full of them too).
Great message we're sending...the solution to any problem is violence.
There still is a lot of violence on the screen, more so in movies these days. The industry always has been a bad influence. Guns don't kill people, movies kill people.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #22  
I'm lucky to have kids that have gotten hooked on most of the old shows. My 13 year old spent a year absolutely hooked on I Love Lucy, before switching to Bewitched. There was a good period of pre-color Andy Griffith in there somewhere, too. All good stuff.

I prefer All in the Family and MASH, although I've really grown a new appreciation for absolutely brilliant stupidity of Green Acres in recent years. I grew up with Cheers and Seinfeld, which are both also great, but too-well memorized for me to really enjoy now.

We all watched The Beverly Hillbillies together last night. I suspect that's going to be on his watch list, next.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #23  
There still is a lot of violence on the screen, more so in movies these days. The industry always has been a bad influence. Guns don't kill people, movies kill people.
The massive media coverage of every school shooting likely kills more people than movies or scripted TV. They need to stop giving these mentally unstable offenders the attention they're craving.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #24  
The first TV I ever saw was in 1951, was in Warr Acres OK, outside of a bar looking in...Hopalong Cassidy movie.
The first color TV I ever saw was in the WKY channel 4 TV studio in OKC, in 1956. It was on a closed circuit set up for demonstration.

1951. Interesting, 72 years ago. When talking about all the violence, shooting, guns and Cowboy and Indian shows, it’s also interesting to note that events like the Wounded Knee Massacre (1890, the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.) had only occurred 61 years earlier.

Many of the people who carried out the slaughter, and the wider policies of genocide, might of even still been around in 1951. Their children would of certainly been. Given that context, it easy to see why TV showed a revised “feel good” history account and a morality based on might and who was quickest with the gun.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #25  
I’ve recorded than watched old TV shows when I retired 3 years ago. Gunsmoke and Perry Mason were a couple in black and white. Trivia of the day, one Perry Mason was in color.
Watch perry Mason every night on FETV.
It airs four episodes a day, but we are only able to watch the two at night. So, we have seen probably 90% of them in the last 1 1/2 years.

The color episode just aired a few weeks ago.
Kids stripping cars...including Perry's.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #26  
There were a couple of Gunsmoke episodes where the mistreatment of native Americans was talked about.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #27  
There were a couple of Gunsmoke episodes where the mistreatment of native Americans was talked about.

Sure, but for the most part there was very little moral ambiguity regarding America’s history, you could say TV back then was very..
….black and white!

/ Back to watching black and white TV #28  
1951. Interesting, 72 years ago. When talking about all the violence, shooting, guns and Cowboy and Indian shows, it’s also interesting to note that events like the Wounded Knee Massacre (1890, the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.) had only occurred 61 years earlier.

Many of the people who carried out the slaughter, and the wider policies of genocide, might of even still been around in 1951. Their children would of certainly been. Given that context, it easy to see why TV showed a revised “feel good” history account and a morality based on might and who was quickest with the gun.
As they say, history is written by the winners. Being (reputedly) 1/16th Cherokee, I had always been sympathetic towards the rather difficult situation most Native Americans faced. Living in Oklahoma, and the fact that my parents adopted a full blood Indian, I began to wonder.
I am reading a book, "The Killing of Crazy Horse"...and I was shocked by the description of the Indian wars. Seems tribal warfare, knew no bounds. They had no qualms about killing pregnant women and children. I can see why they were hated by the whites.

/ Back to watching black and white TV #29  
I haven't owned a TV in years at this point, and don't miss it one little bit. I do find it rather amusing how it confuses the hell out of some people though when they ask if I've seen such and such, I tell them no, as I don't even own a TV nor go to the movies...if it's come out in the last 15 years or so, then chances are nearly 100% that I haven't seen it...then watch the utter confusion come over them. As TV owning/watching has become so ubiquitous that they can not even begin to comprehend how it is that someone willingly doesn't watch TV...almost as if I've told them that I live without ever breathing or eating. 😅

Last edited:
   / Back to watching black and white TV #30  
To me a Television is wasted time you can never get back, and we all have a limited amount of sand left in our hourglass.

I shot my TV back in 1979.... Never looked back.